1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Sourcing Animals To Practice

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by L Crockett, May 22, 2021.

1. L Crockett

L Crockett New Member

Hey all, I am looking into doing taxidermy, I've talked to a few people, read up, and watched videos, but now when it comes time to put these things to practice.. I don't know what to do. Right now is not ideal since nothing is in season, does anyone have any ideas? I've even considered ordering snake food just to have something. Ideally I would like to practice everything including the skinning and tanning. My family have always just hunted for meat so I've never properly skinned anything.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Graybeard's Beetles

Graybeard's Beetles New Member

Alaska
    Check out the for sale section or talk to your local trappers. May cost a little but it gives you experience.

drob likes this.

3. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

go shoot pigeons....if you can skin them you can skin any bird

Richard C likes this.
  4. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Pop a squirrel with a pellet gun. They are considered nuisances in many locales.

drob and Richard C like this.
  5. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

Roadkill.

6. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Where at in MD are you?
    I’m in MD on the shore . I have a couple critters maybe

Last edited: May 23, 2021
  7. L Crockett

L Crockett New Member

I couldn't really find much for Maryland, the website for trappers is more focused on information than selling.
    Haha I like the enthusiasm, my cats keep pretty much every small creature away from my house but I can try.
    I definitely considered roadkill but with it being hot out now I don't think anything would be salvageable even I had the permit to pick it up.

8. L Crockett

L Crockett New Member

Would you mind if I called you and asked a few questions? Would definitely appreciate it.

9. 13 point

410-977-1856 , Glen

Graybeard's Beetles likes this.
  10. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Great gesture, Glen! This is what Taxi-Net is all about! Sharing knowledge and resources is very rewarding for both parties!

11. L Crockett

L Crockett New Member

Thank you so much, I'm out right now but should be home soon, when would be a good time?

12. 13 point

N
    No certain time , I’m into a lot so
    You call and if I’m open I’ll be glad to talk . If not we will figure out a better time lol .

L Crockett likes this.