1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Repainting A Fish

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Ed, May 23, 2021.

1. Ed

Ed Member

Can one white out a painted fish and start from there or is it always better to completely strip paint and start over? This fish is completely finished with lacquer top coat. Thanks

2. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    I’ve done many by whiting them out
    But on old fish where paint is chipping and cracking I lightly strip with rag

3. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

Depends how thick the gloss coat is. If super thick you will loose detail. But yeah, just white it out and paint away.

4. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Use Kilz. It will cover grease leakages and allow them to be painted. Stripping old fish can open a can of worms...endless fin repair. I blow them off, clean with windex, spray with white Kilz, and then repaint. Forget scale detail...you are putting lipstick on a pig to make a customer happy.

Clew likes this.
  5. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    I like what Joey said
    These are old repairs
    Borax and water
    Even had some come in with arsenic

6. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

allways found it best to “ zip strip” them and do any repairs then properly seal skin, iron scales , replace fins if needed then proceed with new paint job

7. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

I will always strip them for this reason. I have no idea on what’s going on underneath plus loss if details and I want to do it correctly in my mind. So yes strip see what needs to be fixed , repair and paint

Attached Files:

Mudbat and byrdman like this.
  8. byrdman

Agree ! why spent time repainting to have your paint job peel or flake off

Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  9. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Depending on what you expect out of the redo. When I get the request, I give them options depending on condition of the mount. First is just white out and repaint, but I inform them of possible issues, it their choice, Second is strip, rework and repair and repaint. Truth be told some of them get whited out to even base color. I charge by the work it takes to bring it up to my standards meaning shop time and materials and don't give a set price when dropped off.

10. byrdman

to do it right though....I wont do a haffazz job just to save customer money....it will come
    back amd bitecha ya know

11. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Customers want all that work done for a few bucks.
    Truthfully, I've never had a repainted fish come back, and I've done dozens of them. I clean them, paint over them with aerosol Kilz (which I learned here ages ago). I paint and gloss them while I'm working on other fish, and charge $150.00. Probably less than an hours time in them. Customer is happy, and I'm very happy!

12. byrdman

I wont do anything for less than 200-250..... even antlers or tails.....not worth the time

13. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    What you consider "Right" is of little concern of mine. On that note the only way Ill do a white out is if the fish is in good condition, only painted poorly and I do use kilz primer to white it out.

14. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Wow I don’t touch a repaint for less than $600.00 cause it’s not worth my time!

joeym and Mudbat like this.
  15. byrdman

not me..... what the general industry would consider the right way...... all depends on age and condition

Clew likes this.
  16. byrdman

40 years as gen contractor just gave me the mindset that a “ remodel” job was best to gut out the old and build with new rather than try to cover up the old

17. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    We're pretty much on the same page here, in my 16 years accepting customer work, Ive only had 2 fish that were worthy of a simple white out and repaint, the dozens of others were stripped, reworked and repainted.

Frank E. Kotula likes this.