1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Business Delima (opinions Please)

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by dmac1175, May 28, 2021.

1. Clovis Point

Clovis Point Active Member

using a different bobcat is not the same as using Bob.

2. you will not last long in this profession.

3. UFD

UFD Member

Your prediction is a little late and has already proven to be wrong, the gentleman you are responding to has been in the full-time taxidermy business over four decades. He's also done it while maintaining a very busy operation at profitable prices and honest, reliable service.

Advice to any folks starting out in the taxidermy business: None of us are perfect and there are always difficult situations to contend with, but you do not have be a shady mafugga to succeed in taxidermy. That is a choice, not a requirement. Lol

Valley Fur Shed and DFJ like this.
  4. DFJ

DFJ Active Member

Dave,
    Thanks for your kind words.
    Also thanks for the advice for the new folks entering the profession.
    You've always be a huge boon to the industry promoting a higher standard both quality and professionalism.
    You'll always be looked up to for that.

As with any industry there are people within that feel the need to resort to ill practices to succeed.
    I feel sadly sometimes our suggestions and advice go upon deaf ears. But I guess as in any business it is what it is.

I find it very ironic, even downright comical that some one would get on a public forum such as this and not only voice their ill practices but brag about them not only to the members but also all the prospective customers that visit the site.
    Makes me shake my head in disbelief but as stated before it is what it is I guess.

Stay strong and true to yourself my friend,
    John

5. 15pt

15pt Well-Known Member

Alabama
    When the majority of non political topics on this forum are about selling or buying capes that should tell you that alot or being replaced. Whether or not the customer is being told this im not sure, but would guess its no more than 40 percent of the time. I'm sure some of the deer capes or for remounts.

Clovis Point likes this.
  6. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

The original post in this thread was about mounting a bobcat without telling the client it was a replacement skin. The taxidermist mounted it without telling his client. He had already crossed the line. I knew for a fact he was headed for trouble when telling a client that was not his cat. Dealing with the consuming public is an art. People react just the opposite of the way one thinks when an issue like this arises. Calling a client about a solvable issue is self inflicted pain. If I have a specimen that doesn't work out, and have a pretty much exact replacement, I'm not going to create unnecessary turbulence. I've had my share of people in the last 50 years that questioned whether a mount was theirs when it indeed was absolutely theirs. Often it dealt with antlers! I can't and won't swap out antlers! My in-laws were in the general merchandise business. I've heard my father-in-law say more than once..."If you deal with the public, you've got a spot in Heaven, because you've had your Hell on earth"! My business is to have smiling faces. It does no good to change a smile to a frown when it's 100% preventable.

Clovis Point, Keith and 15pt like this.
  7. Clovis Point

Clovis Point Active Member

Yeah, I am standing over here with Joey on this side of this fence. With all due respect to those on the other side. More power to ya!