1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mounting/tanning Dissection Cats?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Lyd Roeder, Jun 2, 2021.

1. Lyd Roeder

Lyd Roeder New Member

Hello!

I was wondering if anyone has ever attempted mounting or tanning cats used for school dissections?

One of my teachers told me that her daughter preserved a patch of cat skin from a dissection with salt, but I was curious if anyone had actually tried to make a full on mount?

I know that the cats are injected with a chemical that preserves their organs, and during a standard dissection the skin is removed to reveal the muscles. From videos I've watched the skin seems to still be loose enough to remove case style, but I am more concerned about the aforementioned chemicals.

If anyone has any idea if mounting a dissection cat could be attempted, please let me know!
    Thank you :^)

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

One thing you said , she preserved a pcs of the skin with salt . It’s not preserved , it’s only dehydrated, and must be further processed to be preserved.

3. The cats used for science events and such are preserved with formalin. The chemical makes their fur useless which is why you can sell wet specimen or mummified kittens/puppies as is it illegal to sell any fur product from them. You can’t tan the pelt so the only thing you could do would be to mummify the animal. You could get taxidermy cat eyes and place them over it’s eyes so it doesn’t look dried up. You also could place it in any position you wanted. That would be the closest thing you could do to taxidermy with the animal at that point if you weren’t going to keep it a a wet specimen.