1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Pronghorn Shoulder Mount Critique

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by DeadAnvil, Jun 2, 2021.

1. DeadAnvil

DeadAnvil New Member

Ok guys, so this is my first mount of any kind. I know there’s some issues with it...the eyes bug me the most, but I’d like all the constructive criticism y’all can throw at me!

Attached Files:

ARUsher and drob like this.
  2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I have seen worse by far more experienced taxidermist. This pretty good being that it is your first taxidermy mount.

DeadAnvil likes this.

3. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

X2 - pretty good for a first mount. The lips seem to need more tucking and the nose is too rounded. It should have a step down indentation. There seems to be skin bunched up at the cheeks that should be taxied a little further back. Ears and ear butts need a little work - check your reference photos. These are a few things that seem to stand out to me, but again, overall a good mount for your first attempt. You’ll only get better!

4. DeadAnvil

DeadAnvil New Member

Thank you for the input! I went back to the mount and gave it another good look and see what you’re talking about. Now I can the issues you pointed out lol. I appreciate it!

5. big dan

big dan Member

utah
    Good first mount. On top of the critiques you’ve gotten I would also add that your eyes look too sunken in. Try to remember antelope have almost 360 degree field of view

DeadAnvil likes this.
  6. Chippers

Chippers Active Member

To build on what Dan said about the eyes, here's some pics that help show just how far our their eyes go.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DeadAnvil likes this.
  7. DeadAnvil

DeadAnvil New Member

Thank you to all who replied to my post, this insight really helped me read the references better and hopefully I’ll be doing more mounts in the relatively near future since this is kind of just a hobby for me...for now anyway!

Chippers likes this.
  8. Mandi

Mandi Active Member

It looks really good. I feel like it needs a good grooming though.

DeadAnvil likes this.
  9. DeadAnvil

DeadAnvil New Member

Thanks! I have since gone back and gave it a “blow out” and a good combing lol, he was looking a bit ratty