1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Orange Bottle Questions

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Mouse17, Jun 5, 2021.

1. Mouse17

Mouse17 New Member

I know orange bottle isn’t ideal, but it’s all I have. I’m tanning a goat kid with it for a mount, is this stuff waterproof? When I rehydrate or wash the pelt will it come off? Thanks for any help. Pelt has been in an acid pickle.

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Well you know it’s not ideal and your tanning with sorry junk so to answer your questions I won’t use it on anything cause it doesn’t work properly.
    Don’t use it and look into chrome tanning if you want waterproof

3. Mouse17

Mouse17 New Member

How does it not work? Can you give me specific examples?

4. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

It’s not a garment tan to begin with and so many folks have had horrible issues with it. You can do a search and find out more. You’ve ask for a waterproof tan ad I gave you your answer. I’m not going into details on a puss poor product

3bears likes this.
  5. I used that product when I was starting out years ago and almost always had issues with fur shedding or slipping when I rehydrated the hides to re-work them. They were not tanned, anything I went back to shave further was still raw in the middle. I didn't pickle the hides at the time though, just followed the instructions on the bottle exactly. Maybe a pickle would help it work more effectively, but I have no confidence in that product producing a washable, tanned hide. The instructions on the bottle alone tell me that whoever created it does not have sufficient knowledge on tanning to formulate an effective tanning product.

If you want a well-tanned, washable hide with sufficient stretch for mounting, keep the pelt in the pickle until you can get high quality taxidermy tanning products.

6. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

The only people I have ever heard of that use the “orange” trapper tan is people who are beginners and don’t have experience with tanning at all. I have never heard of anyone who has successfully tanned a hide with it, and I don’t know of anyone who has used it more than once.
    Please understand, you are asking people who tan hides successfully for a living, how to use a product that they know will not work. It’s a question that cannot be answered.

7. Mouse17

Mouse17 New Member

Thanks so much everyone for the advice! I didn’t know the orange bottle was that bad, I will order something else. This is the first time I’ve ever tanned something so I really appreciate the help.