1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bleached Horns

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Dwb5, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Dwb5

Dwb5 Active Member

So i have tried my first few European mounts. I wrapped them in plastic wrap and electric taped them good. So I thought. I soaked them in 3% peroxide with 50/50 water to peroxide. Now my horns have got in it and bleached out. What can I do to re stain them. I have tried wood stain but it's not taking to them the way I thought it would. Any help would be appreciated!!! Thank guys and gals.

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

If you use the "Advanced Search" on her and look for Staining Antlers, coloring, restoring antlers .. or similar, there are a lot of posts on here on how to do it. Many have pictures, or did. It isn't hard and is a good talent to have especially if you are doing racks for clients. Peroxide can get to places where you don't want it and it really is an easy fix.

3. Tnrandy

Tnrandy Active Member

i've had good success with minwax wood finish Oil-Based Provincial. some people also use minwax gel. I normally put on several coats until I get the desired color, then use a wire brush to knock off the shine.
    I've read people using coffee grounds and some other things but minwax works for me.

Be sure and don't get any on the skull! It's a bear to get it off. Good luck

Dwb5 likes this.
  4. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

potassium permanganate from your local water treatment plant

Dwb5 likes this.
  5. Sea Wolf

Easy to get at any pet store that has a good selection for fish and aquatics. I buy mine at a koi pond place as it is sold for treating aquarium fish too.

6. Dwb5

Dwb5 Active Member

How long do you leave it on?

7. Sea Wolf

Experiment with it. Put it on in thin layers. It goes on purple but dries brown. You can increase the depth of the brown by adding more layers of it. Try experimenting with it on bone if you don't have any antlers hanging around.

Dwb5 likes this.
  8. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

mix with DA not water for quicker evap and darkercolor

Dwb5 likes this.
  9. blindluck

blindluck Member

Umber / raw umber water based paint cut with windex and a q tip