1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Slipping Fur Question

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by InYourElement, Jun 11, 2021.

1. InYourElement

InYourElement New Member

PA
    When fur "slips" does it normally smell rotten?

Only having an issue with the feet.

Animal is a fox. Cape was purchased by my instructor, and was tagged East coast capes (which has a professional looking website and seems to be reputable).

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Not always, but if it’s smells it’s not treated /tanned try putting stop rot on it and when you mount it put dry preserve on it . Or call East Coast tannery

pir^2h likes this.

3. Krowtann

4. 15pt

15pt Well-Known Member

Alabama
    Pretty common on fox

5. InYourElement

InYourElement New Member

PA
    I
    Thanks for the advice. Thought of calling East Coast but I dont have a receipt, the instructor does. Smell isnt going away so I'm just hoping it stays in the feet & doesnt go completely bald everywhere because it's mounted. Leaving my workshop today so will work on ordering the product you mentioned when I'm at the airport.

6. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

I would get the receipt with the ID# of the hide and call East Coast Tannery. They are really good to work with and I have always received quality hides from them. They are very straight up and honest about the hides they sell. If it’s already mounted, it should be drying and once dry there should be any more slippage, but the lingering smell in the feet is not a good sign. It could continue to deteriorate and could attract bugs that could destroy the mount.

pir^2h likes this.