1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Old Fish Mount Weighs A Ton!

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by ACopeland, Jun 11, 2021.

1. ACopeland

ACopeland New Member

I took in an old walleye for restoration , repair, repaint, remount and this thing weighs a ton! It was mounted in the 70’s. What in the world did they use to fill fish with back then? The owner wants it to be lighter but unless any of you have a good idea on how to accomplish that it ain’t happening. Thanks for any input.

2. Lance.G

Lance.G Well-Known Member

Concrete lol

Westcoast likes this.

3. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

Tell him to work out at the gym. Then it won’t seem so heavy.

4. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

It was probably mounted using clay-based fish-filler.

5. WLELTD

WLELTD Active Member

drill it out and put foam in it ,one hole at a time, isn't there a song like that?

6. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

I don’t know what he’s complains about. Most fisherman lie about the weight of a fish. Now he can say pick it up, it’s the heaviest walleye you’ll ever see.

7. WLELTD

WLELTD Active Member

I have seen guys soak off the skin it won't get that flexible but you could carve a foam body to fit back in there, and if your fixing and repainting what the heck

8. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

plaster paris most likely… you could drill some out and foam in

9. Richs Taxidermy

Richs Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Yes I got a 29 inch walleye my dad had mounted in 1980 it weighs more now than it did alive.

10. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

I started mounting fish in 1976 .... and I always used fish forms.

:)

Kerby...

11. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Rework the fish and forget about the weight. It's obviously been hanging safely somewhere for the last forty years.

Wally Gator, 15pt and John C like this.
  12. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

Just tell them to do a replica. Will look a hell of a lot nicer anyway!

13. Dont drill it out, just do the best you can without making dust. Reason ASBESTOS! Many older mount have been done with plasters and paper mache's containing asbestos. Remember back the we had no idea about mesothelioma.

I was contacted by a large firm to restore several hundred old mounts. I researched and figured between the lead pigment paint and the asbestos I would just not bother with a bid. The man who bid the job and did the work died about 2 years later with mesothelioma. Be sure to use a facemask and a shop vac to suck up the dust.

ARUsher and Clew like this.
  14. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Don’t mess with the integrity of this fish as knowone knows what’s inside
    Do your best with the paint job or offer a repo
    But from our history the customer wants his fish
    Customer pays for our living
    Without our customers we are out of a job
    Give the customer what he wants
    But needs to pay what we need

Wally Gator and joeym like this.
  15. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

If it does have asbestos, an face mask isn't going to help in the long term. Asbestos fibers can linger in the atmosphere for years once they are liberated from their source. Sound advice from Clew. Rework the fins if needed, and repaint. Drilling into this fish could really open a can of worms.

Lance.G, Clew and Wally Gator like this.
  16. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

wetting and keeping wet while drilling will prevent any asbestos from becoming fryed into dust …… but who cares about how heavy as long as hanger is sound and customer uses a stout screw or nail….lots of mounts are heavy…