1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Salting Cased Skins For A Tannery

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Kaiada, Jun 13, 2021.

1. Kaiada

Kaiada New Member

I have a few case-skinned small mammals in the freezer I need to salt for the tannery. Now with rug or cape skinned animals I know you can set them hair-down on tilted plywood to salt dry them, and trapper cased stuff you can put on a stretcher. These are mountable, so I need a way to hang or set them to salt properly.

Will the plywood still work, just flip it over to give both sides get air movement? Drape it over a 2x4? I know you aren't supposed to clip by the nose or anything. Is a clothesline a viable method?

Also, should cased skins for a tannery be flipped hair side out (after second salting a day later)?

I have contacted the tannery to see if they have any special instructions, just want to learn what others do. I also do some home tanning so I'd like to have a good method for that as well.

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Just lay them out and salt heavy ,put on a drain board . Your over thinking it . Rub salt in , 24 hours resalt as it starts to dry find a box you are going to use to ship and fold them to fit in box while they are still a little pliable . If they get stiff and you try it they will crack and break . Remember trappers stretch hides to be graded by size . Hell I salt a hide and put it in a ball with opening of the ball at bottom to drain for the first 24 hours . Those plastic bread trays work great to put salted stuff on .

socalmountainman likes this.

3. Here is what I do. Salt by rubbing salt into flesh side, invert hair out and hang over a 2x4 overnight. Next day invert to flesh out and salt again. Leave flesh side out and hang over 2x4 over night and then as 13 point said start to fold for shipping. No need to invert hair out. Trappers do so that the fur buyers can see the fur as that is what they are buying for.

4. People over think things , easiest way is have a drum of salt or flat table rub salt into the hide getting every inch and flap throw it over a 2x4 to drip over night come back next day re salt . The skin can only absorb so much salt . It's like vitamin c in the body your wasting salt by throwing it on top and letting it lay. It's much faster to . I've never had an issue. The flesh side should be out 100 percent of the time that's the side that needs to dry ,by doing opposite is letting moisture get in there and creating bacteria . Just make sure it's fleshed well and salt touches every single inch and drips over a bucket or gutter system

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Good on you for contacting your tannery. Some tanneries won't take case skinned critters or they charge extra for them.

6. Kaiada

Kaiada New Member

Thanks all, I'll set up a board to dry them on. One more thing, I've seen varying responses in other threads, how much is heat an issue when salt drying? I have two workspaces, the slightly humid but cooler basement and the drier but hotter garage. Summer temps can push 85 here. Would salting hides in the heat work, especially if I started the process in the evening for a cooler night? I've heard of people salting for long summer field trips, if properly fleshed will the salt penetrate fast enough to stop slippage? I do use stop-rot before salting as well. I would much prefer to have stuff outside with more space, but don't want to risk bacteria from heat.

7. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

Roll up you hides, rather than folding them