1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Lifesize Base While Mounting

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by keriWCL, Jun 15, 2021.

1. keriWCL

keriWCL Member

Good Morning...
    What and how do you guys use for a base on a lifesize deer form while you are mounting the deer from cradle to grave please?
    Do you just build a makeshift 2x4 base and then remove when you attach it to the good habitat base?
    Just trying to get a few ideas...
    Thanks in advance:)

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

For me it depends on the form and what it’s doing , as in walking, climbing, laying. For the most part I measured the form to get my base size ( finished wood base ) then I prep that for what the deer is doing , build up drill holes and such then I mount deer and secure it to that base and when dry, build habitats to incorporate it all together. If base is deep enough I’ll cut a pcs of ply and to shape of base and mount deer on that ply then screw it down in base

pir^2h likes this.

3. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

If I am going to build my own base, I usually build the structure of the base and attach it as I mount it, then finish the details on the base afterward. I also, have a 14” square by 6’ long rectangle box with one side panel open to reach in and screw on the nuts to the anchor bolts. It serves as a temporary base if I need to build the base separately or if I am using a pre-made base from a supplier. If I am using a pre-made base, I order it with the mannequin to make sure I have the correct dimensions of anchor (leg) placements and then I build a simple 2x4 structure to match the dimensions of the base. Hope that helps!

pir^2h likes this.
  4. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

As Mike Powell said, always prebuild your base prior to mounting anything. It can be frustrating than trying to adapt a mounted specimen to a fixed habitat. I use a cradle to hold lifesize animals while mounting, then attach them to the temporary (or permanent) base.

pir^2h likes this.