1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Turkey Heads

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by funnybone, Jun 16, 2021.

1. Well I guess my freeze dry guy I've been using for the last 20 years has retired anyone know of a reliable turkey head guy close to northeast ohio

2. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I use Ravenel Freeze Dry in Covington, GA. Adam does great turkey heads. Shipping may be a few bucks more. 770-262-4431

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

My choices for freeze dried heads from my experience from a few years ago is 1) Hazel Creek. Best quality, best customer service. Expensive. 2) Stehlings. Good quality and customer service. 3) Boondocks. Good quality. Customer service was lacking.

4. Crittrstuffr

Crittrstuffr Active Member

Boondocks all the way. You can send him your head or he has stock ready to go. Good bodies also

5. When it comes to turkey heads you get what you pay for,Hazel creek my be a little more but they supply a great quality head

6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Not if you are using them on 20# rios. Their extra small body is about two sizes too big. Everyone I get, I try to use that extra small body and way too big on all of them.

7. Crittrstuffr

Crittrstuffr Active Member

Had no idea only mount Easterns? They fit them great

8. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Yes, they seem to fit the other species well. My problem is that Oregon is full of rios and not much anything else. It also seems from what I can find out is that a 21 pound rio is not the bird a 21 pound eastern is. I don't know why. I do know the bodies are a very popular body with great reviews on ease of use and accurate looking finished bird.

9. 15pt

15pt Active Member

Alabama
    I've never been able to get those bodies to fit any bird right. I only use the shane smith bodies now and never have a problem.

10. Tanglewood Taxidermy

After trying several different brands, I started using Joe Coombs and then switched to Shane Smith. Not production, just for my personal birds. I will only use Shane Smith now.

11. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

Has anyone one done a flying bird with Shane's forms and if so which ones?