1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bad Dealings With Bob Wendt

Discussion in 'Buyers and Sellers' started by SterlingFoxCreations, Jun 19, 2021.

1. Edit: (post modified) I realize after re-reading my review that I was a bit harsh on Bob. I want to keep what is useful of this review up though because I do want people to know the experience I had with this seller. Hindsight is always 20-20 and there were a lot of factors that could have made this experience a better one for both sides (including things out of our control like the weather and FedEx). Ultimately, if you decide to purchase from Bob, I HIGHLY recommend that you communicate with him the details of how you want your package to be shipped. (overnight, icepacks, etc.)

I recently purchased two frozen coyotes from Bob as a first-time customer. The shipping was delayed (no fault of Bob's) however I have my doubts that they would have been good if they had arrived the day prior. They were shipped in a tiny box with a thin (and broken) styrofoam cooler liner. They reeked to the high heavens and were very very warm to the touch (about 75-80 degrees). Mind you I took them out of the box as soon as they arrived, they DID NOT sit outside on my porch for any length of time.

I tried to save them (put one directly in the pickle overnight) but the hair was already falling out like crazy. In my opinion, they were improperly packaged as they had no cooler packs and the box was inadequately insulated for 5 days in the mail. I paid Bob 60$ in shipping for a 9lb package that wasn't sent via 2-3 day mail. I suppose I expected shipping would include the supplies necessary to package it properly, or that he would have reached out and communicated with me about the details of the package.

Considering his other reviews on this site, I expected a lot more from this seller both in his packaging of products he sells as well as his customer service.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
  2. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

There are two sides to every story. Since we old timers have been purchasing from Bob for many years - with never a problem, I doubt very much this is what happened. Joe

pir^2h, Straythej, Sea Wolf and 2 others like this.

3. bob wendt

bob wendt indiana, wyoming and kansas

she is not being truthful. I offered to split the loss with her 50/50 if she purchased 2 more and agreed to pay to send them overnight. overnight would have cost $161 for shipping. they were packaged perfect, frozen hard as a rock, box and all, and insulated well. she said the box had been opened before it arrived. it was closed plenty good when fedex accepted it. It did take a day longer shipping than fedex said it would take, but that should not have caused rotting. tracking showed they were left on her front porch at 1 in the afternoon. I no longer guarantee any shipping method to anyone, so felt I was being generous. she did not pay $60 for shipping, she was issued a refund ck from me on the shipping. it was sent at least 8-9 days ago. I would not have done that had I known this post would show up. I did everything humanly possible to get the skins to her in good condition , all anyone could do. loose hairs is not slipping. bare skinand wads of hair is slipping. I thi8nk she gave up on them without even trying. about one in every 100 or more packages the shipping companies ( all of them) have a delay for unknown reasons. it is a risk we all live with. I can not please everyone, but I sure try as much as I can and still stay afloat.

4. Straythej

Straythej New Member

Sounds like a problem with the actual transport and/or your mail carrier, I received an order from him earlier this week (first time buyer as well) and got it within 3 days. There were no ice packs but was shipped frozen hard as a rock, and foam insulation was till intact and there was no smell of decomp.

5. Straythej

Straythej New Member

Have you ordered raw coyotes before?

Chippers likes this.
  6. KH Taxidermy

KH Taxidermy New Member

I've ordered from Bob several times with no problem. I do however watch the weather reports for across the nation as that does impact the quality of your order no matter how well it is pckaged, and if it's too hot out, I will sometimes ask the seller to hold an item for a week or three, whatever, till weather cools down, and most oblige graciously. And all mail carriers have issues with getting items delivered on time. I just received a package from FedEx that arrived that was 4 days late; needless to say I too lost most of the shipment due to spoilage. I wont be ordering any raw pelts or whole animals now until the fall when weather cools down, or I will pay additional to have it overnighted.

Straythej and Lee Lackey like this.
  7. BowDeadly

BowDeadly "LIFE IS GREAT" It's better with a bow

First off if I read it right, think some one is way over exaggerating their story. Only asking for 10 / 15.00 back on a 200.00 deal ?????, that alone is a joke.
    I just shipped a skinned fox to ND from DE, UPS SAID IT WAS DELIVERED ON THE 2ND in 3 days .4 ice packs, house insulation and a home made cooler,1.5 foam caulked all seams, HD thick box, over kill a little, but. THE GUY SAID THE TRACKING SAID 10 DAYS ( LIAR ) it arrived at his location on porch in 3 days. Because my handling time for eBay is 10 days due to when bought and shipped ONLY ON Mondays, it said 10 days handling. The guy thought it said it would arrive in 10 days, dah (moron), eBay believed the moron. Bought on Sunday and shipped on that Monday next day. Funny though same thing, rotten, hair slipping, stunk etc. etc. He said shipped in old box, newspaper, no gel packs. It sat on his porch for 10 days he said, yea maybe before he looked for it but I doubt it.
    Bad part is EBay refunded him the full amount before using their head or hearing my side (more morons) tree huggers, CA.. I lost my case mainly because eBay thinks they are always right. I was right and UPS tracking proved that. But the tree hugger that took care of the issue thought differently for sure.
    Anyway Bob don't loose any sleep over this one, there is always one moron out there that thinks they can get over on some one ask Mr. Burns, HeHeHe

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
    socalmountainman and pir^2h like this.
  8. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

NO ONE ever has a bad deal with Bob Wendt !!!!

(thats the truth, not sarcasm)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
  9. whitetails and fish only

whitetails and fish only Well-Known Member

Here in Mn. we have had the hottest first half of June ever recorded. I would not even think of having anything that could spoil shipped to me at this time.

pir^2h, Straythej, Skullery and 2 others like this.
  10. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

keep in mind Bob
    is a trapper and used to skinning for the fur trade… not for the taxidermy trade…. as far as packing and shipping though, there should be no difference….. maybe some salt

11. BowDeadly

Bob is a trapper and used to skinning for the fur trade. what's that matter ?

Sea Wolf and msestak like this.
  12. bob wendt

bob wendt indiana, wyoming and kansas

byrdman I am expert at skinning and prepping for the taxidermy trade. lips eyes feet etc I know how to do it proper. chandras hides were just skinned and no prep,but skinned right FOR TAXIDERMY, as is every hide I list, unless stated otherwise as a "wall hanger". if it is prepped tannery ready I say so. my specimens are in show rooms all over the u. s. and in the carnegie museum of natural history. I have been on taxi net for near 20 years now, maybe more. thousands and thousands of sales. I am not a dealer or a trapper peddling what the fur buyer rejected. I catch and handle my own animals as that is the only way I can know quality, handling, skinning and shipping...if I do it myself. I can control everything till it leaves my hands, after that we all have to count on others and sometimes they do not do their job. to those who posted comments , I appreciate it. I think chandra is a good person and we both just got a raw deal that is the fault of neither of us. I would rather neither of us got beat up over this bad deal

drob, pir^2h, Lance.G and 7 others like this.
  13. byrdman

Bob , I have 2-1/2 fox of yours in my showroom…. but…. dorsal is far better than cased trapper cut…. for most taxidermy thats all

14. byrdman

cased vs dorsal…..no measurements… turning ears…etc

15. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I disagree with that statement, I’ll take cased over dorsal cut any day . Hell I case skinned a bighorn ram this year . You have many more options with a case skinned animal.

rogerswildlife, Richard C and Lance.G like this.
  16. byrdman

if you like sewing or cutting front legs off form….. cased is a trapper cut first and
    formost….. except beaver… but to each his own…., wouldnt expect Bob to dorsal one of his squirrel back cats… haha… measurements are nice to have as well… cased does give you the option to sell pelt yes…but I said trapper cased… not taxidermy cased…

17. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

I am among hundreds of people who have bought from Bob. He knows how to ship furs. The problem is with folks who want to have frozen things sent in the heat of summer and do not want to bite the bullet and pay for overnight or next day shipping (or even ask to have the hides salted and dried before shipping). Some loose fur is not slippage .. and coyotes can just stink until they are tanned. If you are going to continue to purchase frozen hides, invest in a bottle or two of Stop Rot. Use it properly on every hide you get and you will almost never have any issues. Your shipment was delayed, in the summer, and hours can make the difference when it is hot out. The inside of the truck it was in could easily been well over 100 degrees from being in the sun. What you should do, is file a claim with the shipper. They are the ones that screwed up the hides, not Bob.

Inadequately insulated for 5 days in the mail? No manner of shipping is going to get you anything still frozen in the heat of summer in 5 days. 3 days would not have made it either. Trucks and warehouses are ovens inside right now and anything frozen is not going to last. I have packages sent to me in 3 in thick Styrofoam with dry ice and in 2 days they are already starting to thaw. . Overnight shipping to you was $161. Pretty sure Bob offered you that option. You should have taken it.

18. BowDeadly

WRONG..I just sent that albino fawn to AR. HD box, 4 med. gel packs, house ins. around home made cooler. She received it Friday sent out Monday still froze a little and the entire fawn still very cold. Your always taking a chance when shipping frozen goodies, even with next day or second day. Fawn sent to OR 4 days still frozen. Fox to ND, 4 days still frozen. These were all sent UPS in the 90 degree heat last week. Pack it right and chances are good it gets there safely, unless delivery services fail.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    SterlingFoxCreations likes this.
  19. rmann

rmann Member

I don't know why they ask you if it is enough insurance, they are not going to pay for this frozen stuff, if they drop the ball anyway, one of mine got latter, didn't say why, but UPS told UPS store, they threw it away, end of story, so I refunded her the whole shipping, plus paid her back and lost all my own animals,
    Paid $106 for nothing, UPS got paid, so they came out alright.

20. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    I’ve ebought from bob a few times over the years
    A1 seller in my book

msestak likes this.