1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Shoulder Mount Whitetails

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Lorn, Jun 24, 2021.

1. Lorn

Lorn Member

Should a head lose any hair at all when doing a shoulder mount?

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

No , no more then a person combing there hair

3. Lorn

Lorn Member

Ok thanks

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

There will always be some loose hairs. But, it would be two or three here and there. If you are losing more than enough to cover half of the palm of your hand you may have a problem.

5. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

On short hair southern deer, I rarely have any loose hair. Long hair northern deer and muleys tend to shed worse. I DP all whitetails and muleys.

6. 15pt

15pt Active Member

Alabama
    On a Dp deer it's not uncommon for hair to be looses about a week after mounting, but not during mounting.

joeym likes this.
  7. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I make it my business not to be tugging on a cape after mounting.

John C likes this.
  8. Lorn

Lorn Member

How do you get the cape off the head of a mounted deer to do a remount?

9. Lorn

Lorn Member

I am a beginner is why all the questions

10. 13 point

Are you using same cape ? If not fill up a trash can , put a bag in it if necessary put head rack down, weight it down or tie it down for couple hours , then cut the cape off . I don’t reuse anything but the eye maybe , but only if it’s a good eye . 95% of the time the form is dug out in the lip line , nose and tear duct . I have to much pride in my work to try and fix it as it would never be back to my standards, but that’s just me .

11. Lorn

Lorn Member

Yes using the same cape

12. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Lorn: As a beginner, you should not attempt to re-use an old cape to re-mount. Do as 13 point recommended. Remove the existing cape, toss it, and use a fresh cape. I've done lots and lots of deer, and I can tell you that dealing with an old cape is nothing but misery followed by failure. If you re-use an old form, lip lines and nostrils need to be filled with foam and remodeled. Spray foam will work if you don't have pourable foam. You are at the correct place to ask questions. We will try to assist you with good information.

13. Lorn

Lorn Member

Thank you

14. Lorn

Lorn Member

I would like to do it the cheapest way possible is why I originally mentioned using the same cape.

15. Lorn

Lorn Member

What and where do you guys use for modeling tools?

16. 13 point

Your original question was about mount losing hair , that would make me believe the deer your talking about had hair coming out . Then you ask how to get cape off ,so I was thinking your going to redo it , and now your talking bout reusing same cape . Makes no sense

17. Lorn

Lorn Member

I think I can preserve it. It’s not losing as much hair as I originally thought

18. Crittrstuffr

Crittrstuffr Active Member

Lorn good morning. Just so your aware because we only know what we know as they say. If your new to taxidermy and you ask for advise and your getting people reaching out to try and give and share their years upon years of knowledge and at the end you choose to do what you think is right anyway may frustrate some? By not taking the advise you asked for is why sometimes your future questions may go unanswered on this site. When you get some years behind you you'll understand there are several ways to do almost anything in taxidermy. But what was shared on here with you is knowledge from people who have tried with years of experience to do what your trying and it didn't turn out to their standards. To be clear you can follow your own path in learning taxidermy no worries. With that but some may ask why you asked for advise in the first place? Some people just have to jump in the pool with rocks in their pockets to figure out they can't swim. Good Luck please share how it turns out. Stay safe

19. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

What, in this situation, allows you to believe you can preserve it? Not being snarky, legitimate question.

20. Lorn

Lorn Member

I’m not sure if it can be or not. If I don’t have to spend a lot to do this would be great