1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bondo & Allergies

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by dmac1175, Jun 25, 2021.

1. dmac1175

dmac1175 Active Member

As far as I can remember I have never had much of an issue with spring/summertime allergies until about 3 or 4 years ago. Now it seems like starting around the 1st week of June here comes the blocked sinuses, itchy watery eyes and nose, sneezing etc.
    Do any of you that suffer from allergies have any issues when working with bondo? It seems to irritate my nose and sinuses further when I breath those strong bondo fumes.
    Im even considering going to ear liners and matche on my deer just to cut down on bondo use.
    Any thoughts?

2. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

when you get a fresh can of bondo take cover off and let it sit in garage for a day or two… it will be thicker but the solvent that keeps it soft will vap off and lessen fumes

3. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

That’s great advice! Once we open a can, we rarely cover it anyway, since it’s gone in a week or so. I just need to pre-open it on the porch

4. dmac1175

dmac1175 Active Member

Thank you

5. WLELTD

WLELTD Active Member

any chemical I use anymore my nose starts to run I try to stay away from Bondo

6. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I've used so much Bondo, that I don't even notice the smell anymore (or maybe
    I have COVID!) It's best to take precautions. I'm not sure how I made it this far into life considering the precautions I haven't taken.

7. Westcoast

Westcoast Active Member

I don’t have any reaction to Bondo, but if I use Epoxy Sculpt or All Game without gloves my eyes will swell a little. I Hate wearing gloves so if I immediately wash my hands it helps keep things to a minimum. Claritin will help with seasonal allergies.

8. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Bondo has a smell?