1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mallard 'stuffers'

Discussion in 'Taxidermy History' started by PA, Jun 29, 2021.

1. PA

PA Well-Known Member

Years ago George Roof posted about certain hunters in Delaware preferring to use real mounts as decoys when hunting certain waterfowl, I believe Canada Geese in his example.

Our museum has a set of decoys that were donated decades ago and probably are from the 1930's or 1940's and patented by Whistler Bros. in Morrison Illinois. In the travelling case are six male mallard ducks probably mounted on cork bodies and heavily varnished to survive time in the water. Each specimen has a string and a lead weight so it can be anchored in water, float and move some with the wind. I have seen a similar case on Ebay which had a three females and three males. I am not a fan of federal shotgun shells but they were the only ones I had on hand at the time I took the pictures. Not the finest taxidermy mounts, but I have always admired this case.

stuffer2.jpg stuffer.jpg

Kerby Ross likes this.
  2. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

nowadays with modern realistic decoys and uv painted, those stuffers wouldnt work at all …. but cool

3. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Awesome. Never saw anything like that! Thanks for sharing!