1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Oily Spot On Waterfowl Hide After Mounting

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Jason Fisher, Jul 1, 2021.

1. Jason Fisher

Jason Fisher New Member

Good morning! I’m a beginner but have apprenticed under a veteran bird taxidermist- have mounted my 10th duck..now two episodes of small (dime sized) “oily” spots on back after mounting and drying - assuming spot I missed when deflecting/degreasing as it’s a thin area of skin on birds. My mentor mentions borax to dry it up...it seems to work but is there another method anyone? Does “stop rot” for game hides work, or just a bactericide?

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

These products will not help with your problem.

Jason Fisher likes this.

3. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

Gotta get it clean BEFORE you mount it. That's the only way to stop that.

Jason Fisher, KLFL and jessewild like this.
  4. Jason Fisher

Jason Fisher New Member

Thank you

Tanglewood Taxidermy likes this.
  5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Degreasing starts with the wire wheel. In sensitive areas and difficult to access areas, I use a bird defatting tool from Research Mannikins. It is a little rake like tool with stiff wire like prongs. I can get a skin as clean with that as I can with the wire wheel. The wheel is much faster in most instances, however, super thin skinned birds like ruffed grouse I use it more than the wheel. The rest of the degreasing happens in multiple Dawn washes and rinses. Products like gasoline, Colman fuel, acetone and such, offer very little in degreasing and very much in water displacement for faster drying. I don't use those products for safety reasons. Just plain old dawn, towel dry, hand tumble in cob grit and blow dry with a pet blower. The down has to be dry, dry, dry and clean, clean, clean, to get a fluffy life like bird.

Gray Ghost Safaris likes this.
  6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Borax can help in the initial degreasing on the wheel as it absorbs the grease as you remove it. I have used cob grit for this also with success.

byrdman likes this.
  7. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

what is deflecting? never heard that one before.

8. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Deflecting must be the installation of a shroud around the wire wheel as to deflect the fat from being slung everywhere?

9. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

I think he meant defleshing/defatting

10. Tanglewood Taxidermy

I knew what he meant. I was harassing byrdman a little bit.

Wildthings likes this.
  11. byrdman

haha … “deflecting” a joke my way…you betcha, good one ya know

12. byrdman

but questioning… the back of a duck is prob the toughest part of the skin so the wheeling should have not been a problem there… unless it wasnt wheeled “deep” enuf