1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Can I Rehydrate Freeze Dried Taxidermy To Fix/adjust The Pose?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Creature, Jul 1, 2021.

1. Creature

Creature New Member

I have recently had my cat freeze dried (RIP) however the taxidermist wasn't able to properly do the pose and expression I wanted, and I'm feeling pretty disappointed. He said it's near impossible to rehydrate and make any adjustments at this stage however I've seen a few people mention using denatured alcohol/methylated spirits to inject into areas and adjust them.
    The main things are the eyelids and ears. One of the paws is curled in an unnatural way, and ideally I'd want to straighten it. I'm finding communication with the taxidermist to be a little difficult so thinking about potentially making these adjustments myself. Any advice greatly appreciated.

2. Crittrstuffr

Crittrstuffr Active Member

This why most Taxi's will not mount pets. If you didn't go over every exact detail of eyes, ears, feet, legs, how they laid down, how they held themselves as a whole your setting him/her(taxidermist)up to fail. Not intentionally by any means. You didn't realize the wrongs or misses until it's done. You know them too intimately. If you mount a deer, turkey and or duck and if they represent the animal your good. Pets are a whole different ballgame. Be careful any changes you try to make may fail then you really have a mess on your hands. Sorry for your loss and good luck

3. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t recommend, as like said if it goes south you have nothing you would want to keep . Every living thing has a personality, we as taxidermist can make said animal look like said animal, a deer a deer a fox a fox . But we can’t put that little personality back if we had no clue how the animal might of did the things you remember , like it cocked its head a little as it looked at you or one ear dropped over , kinda thing . Just remember, You will have a mounted cat but you will never have it’s personal attachments back . SORRY

4. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

One more story to validate my decision to never do pets.