1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bird Skull

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by ndawoods25, Jul 2, 2021.

1. What's the best way to clean a turkey skull without beetles? Thought about hanging skull in pot so break isnt in solution.

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Beetles would be the best way. What are you going to do with it? If you are going to try and rot it clean, let the whole head sit under water for about three days. After three days you should be able to slide the beak off (wear rubber gloves). Put the beak in a jar with a mix of rubbing alcohol and water and leave it there until your skull is clean and dry and you can glue it back on. The water needs to be warm all the time for it to rot clean properly. The skull will also fall apart some and you will have to glue it back together. Your other option is to very gently simmer it in water that you have added a very small (1 or 2 tablespoons) amount of washing soda to the water. Simmer only, do NOT boil it and keep pulling it out to rinse and scrub it. The flesh will disintegrate as the chemical works on it. Remove the beak asap or it will partly dissolve and get distorted. It will loosen quickly so keep testing it.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I did the warm water rot for my turkey skulls. It worked great. Glueing all the little bones back in place can be a little confusing and tedious, but very doable.

4. Customer wants it. I'll probably try the pot method. I dont boil my skulls from mammals either. Hot simmer and washing soda with a touch of dawn

5. hoytarcher

hoytarcher Member

Iowa
    I have always macerated them for 5 days. May need to pin glue some of the small areas, but works just fine.