1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Ear Liner/cartilage Removal Question

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by NickH3, Jul 2, 2021.

1. NickH3

NickH3 New Member

First time using ear liners and removing cartilage. Have I removed enough material down near the ear butt? Is there too much inner ear left? Looking for any thoughts, insight. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Not sure what ear liners you are using but most ear liners already have the inner details so you don’t need the butts like you do in bondo , I cut the hole but off bout 1/2 inch below the ear notch and all the inner ear detail off , before I pull cartilage off

Tanglewood Taxidermy likes this.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

No cartilage should be left on.

4. 13 point

Here ya go , the details of liner , 0709F5CB-CE4F-4137-9C48-0C62A698DA65.jpeg 786B91C4-7528-4721-87C9-1527C2A9073F.jpeg DAEAEB8D-2C5D-4C74-BC30-62856DD32749.jpeg 9B3449F3-0BE0-4815-B350-162E7F2CE54E.jpeg 2FF02C4A-65FD-4B6A-9E83-39CDC6248C0F.jpeg A6CAE59F-8790-4BAB-A07B-F6B94EBAC95C.jpeg ECFB7C5E-2849-4553-93D1-A22AD984F5C6.jpeg the black line in liner is where your skin will or should be . You can see where I cut the butt off also, then pulled cartilage. I will thin skin on back of ear before I put liner in

5. 13 point

You would think after getting some great info with pics , the OP would say thanks

6. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

I'll say thanks to you for the time you took to share this with the community.

3bears, drob, Keith and 2 others like this.
  7. 13 point

Thank you , I enjoy helping and a thanks goes a long way . One more little tip is , I cut the ear butt off just as soon as I turn the ear , this way I don’t have to clean it up cutting the meat off and such .

8. Honey the Bean

Honey the Bean New Member

Hello!

I actually found this post really interesting (fascinating actually) since I’m working on my first rabbit and... I actually didn’t know you had to do this with the ears Does the cartilage go bad..? If I’m doing a salt dry on it..?
    I’m not trying to hi-jack the post, I just have a few questions
    like, should the ears be wet or dry to do this? Do they get done before the salting or after?
    And... can someone tell me the easiest, fastest and safest way to flesh a bunny, without causing damage to the hide...?
    Thank you all so much!! And again, I’m sorry I kind of stole the thread...

9. dmac1175

dmac1175 Active Member

I will say thank you. Im not a beginner and I even got something out of your post. I never thought to cut the ear butt off when turned the ear.

drob and 13 point like this.
  10. 13 point

Not sure what your asking ? I will say this tho , your saying your doing a salt dry , well that’s not treating the hide that’s just dehydration of the hide , you still have to preserve it some how , being tanned or Dry preserve. And you should only remove the cartilage when you are using a liner . Be more specific and I’ll try to answer what I can

11. 13 point

Your welcome, yea I just find it easier and get it out of the way , lol no reason not to

12. Honey the Bean

Oh, I’m sorry!

Yes, salt drying and then doing either a traditional egg yolk & smoke or a leather something (like Neatsfoot or mink oil). I think that’s what I’m supposed to do..? Haha I feel so dumb... :oops:

13. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

When I used ear liners ages ago, there were no instructions. I left the cartilage in the ear, because I didn't know any better. Believe it or not, I produced some half way decent ears. Every once in a while one of those old ugly deer cycles back to me for a re-mount. The ears are usually the least of their problems.

Thanks for the photos 13 pt. They should be very helpful to a lot of beginners.

13 point likes this.
  14. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

You skin “bunnies” CAREFULLY! Their skin is very thin, but still needs to be thoroughly fleshed removing all meat and membrane. It’s not clear what you’re trying to achieve - are you trying to preserve the hide? Are you wanting to mount the rabbit? If you’re going to mount the rabbit, use dry preserve or a real tan. I would stay away from home recipe type preservation methods of the type you alluded to. With regard to the cartilage in the ears, when the ears dry the cartilage will warp and twist and look deformed. You must either remove the cartilage or card the ears in the position you want until they dry completely. (Carding = place stiff card material of some kind on the inside and outside of the ear to hold the ear in a specific position - held in place by paper clips of clothes pins). You can also use a syringe and hypodermic needle to inject the ears to aid in splitting or to preserve and stiffen.

Honey the Bean and Wildthings like this.
  15. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I never invert the ear or remove cartridge from a rabbit. You can open the ear by gently inserting a tongue depressor with a very mild rotation, being careful not to tear through. Bondo or any epoxy ear compound can then be infused into the ear and formed as it cures.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
    Johnnyclyde and 13 point like this.
  16. Honey the Bean

Well, as I said, these are my first rabbits. I was given three, and I found one on the side of the road. I would like to mount the three (or stuff them?) and put them together in a cat bed, and then the one I found on the road I’d like to have for a throw on my den couch.

But, as these are my first rabbits, I don’t know what I’m supposed to do, except what I’ve done on chipmunks or squirrels .-. I’ve checked out quite a few videos, and everyone says something different, so I’m super confused Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated...

17. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

There are a variety of methods or techniques and many of those are described in tutorials or threads here on this site and many videos on the internet. You need to educate yourself as to the options you have and select a process you would like to follow. I suggest getting a manual, book or video on mounting small mammals select the methodology you think would fit your abilities and resources available to you and then proceed. The basic steps you need to know and select a method for are:
    1. Skinning and fleshing
    2. Taking measurements for mounting
    3. Preserving or tanning the skin
    4. Select a foam form or make your own by carving or wrapping method
    5. Mounting the rabbit (setting glass eyes and handling the ears, nose, lips, and feet)
    6. Drying and finishing

Honey the Bean likes this.
  18. Honey the Bean

Thank you for your reply, it’s very much appreciated ❤️

I know how to flesh already (watched a few videos, and I’ve done a lot of mice and voles, since we had a huge population boom last year), I learned how to egg tan using some squirrels and chipmunks (and I did a deer I found as road/train kill too, he turned out pretty good for how I found him), and with the measurements and carving my own busts and mounts with styrofoam and such, I know how to do that somewhat, as I’ve learned by doing birds, but I have had practice on mammals. And these particular rabbits are already sleeved, gutted and everything when I receive them, as I get them from a friend down the road.

Where I live, there are no taxidermists or any suppliers, so I’m hoping to be one of the first around here, as there are a ton of hunters that are always looking for mounts and such, so I would like to learn as much as possible ^^; I can’t even rent or borrow any books or dvds from anyone, it’s all been online learning or trial and error teaching myself... so your help is very, very appreciated!