1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

After Fleshing And Washing

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by CCas, Jul 3, 2021.

1. CCas

CCas New Member

Hi everyone, I haven't seen a lot of info on this. So, after I remove the body, flesh, wash and take measurements I order everything. In that week span of waiting for everything to arrive, can the bird sit in the fridge or freezer without going bad? Will the bird start to rot if left in the fridge too long? I'd hate to order beforehand and get the wrong sizes. Can I take measurements of the bird whole and still be accurate? This is for my first pheasant.

Also, I've read that many people do/don't wash pheasants? It wouldn't have the fat like a goose since its not a waterfowl?

2. Take measurments off body once skinned out,yes you need to wash and degrease,freeze skin while you wait for your mannikin,head ,eyes etc.

BrookeSFD16 likes this.

3. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

X2!

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

WASH EVERY BIRD YOU DO! I wash everything from parakeets to turkeys.

5. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

X4
    Freezing it is your best bet!! Sometimes I'll get a bird ready to a point they are cleaned and all the way blown dry and run out of time. I'll put the dry fluffed skin in a ziplock and gently squeeze out all the air and put it in the freezer for later. As long as it not more than a few days to a week. But in your case put it back in the freezer till you have everything ready to continue

KLFL and BrookeSFD16 like this.
  6. CCas

CCas New Member

Thank you guys. I was thinking the freezer was ok but you never know. I'd hate to ruin someones bird. Thanks again

7. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

A refrigerator is a cold dehumidifier. In cooling, it sucks moisture from anything not sealed. Additionally, since the temperature is conducive to mold and psychrophilic bacteria growth, even a sealed specimen has limited shelf life in a refrigerator. I rarely refrigerate anything for over 24 hours. Re-freezing is most always a safer bet.