1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First Waterfowl Mount

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Nick1176, Jul 5, 2021.

1. Nick1176

Nick1176 New Member

First attempt at mounting a duck. Thought it was coming together nicely until I took off the carding and anatomically something looks wrong. Are the wings set to far back? Still have to paint the feet but I think I have bigger issues. Any suggestions will help. Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

Hard to tell with those pictures but what is one of the things making your wings look too far back is the neck positioning. All waterfowl necks have an "S" curve to them. Even the flying birds. If yours had more of a curve in it it would shorten the cape area and make it more fuller looking thus making the wings look more natural. Cleaning is another concern I see. The feathers aren't clean enough or dry enough. Overall I think it's a great start and it looks like you have some great potential. Keep mounting them and posting. DO NOT get rid of this first bird, you will enjoy looking at it many years down the road

3. Nick1176

Nick1176 New Member

Thank you for your advice, I appreciate it. It’s been drying for two weeks but I will leave it to dry for another week or two. I know their is some borax particles and other stuff on the feathers. How do I go about cleaning them off without destroying or pulling out feathers?

4. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

Use a dry clean paint brush to wipe with the feather. If it's stubborn wipe lightly with a damp cloth

5. Nick1176

Nick1176 New Member

Okay will do. Thank you for your input.

6. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

proper bending of wings too… not out at 90% from body… from shoulder bend back and then at elbow foreward

Nick1176 and Wildthings like this.
  7. Not nad for tue first keep up the good work

Nick1176 likes this.