1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Oily Badger Paws?? Help....

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by AlpineValleyTaxidermy, Jul 6, 2021.

1. AlpineValleyTaxidermy

AlpineValleyTaxidermy Active Member

I have an American Badger pelt that had been tanned. But the one who had skinned it had not cut the foot bones down to the last joint like they should have. There is most of the foot bones still in there. So now the skin is oily in the feet. I’m thinking I can soak the the feet in warm salt water to soften it up. Then I could use some shears that I have to cut the bone down to where it should. But I was wondering that after I would do that, if possible, that I would be able to wash the feet to get rid of the oils. Can you wash tanned pelts?

2. Crittrstuffr

Crittrstuffr Active Member

Yes. Some folks wash all their animals once mounted and deer capes before hand.. Dawn dish soap has a low PH and add some salt to the water. Rinse in salt water also. Most tanneries will tell you to rehydrate in salt water so you'd be good to go.

3. AlpineValleyTaxidermy

Thanks

4. AlpineValleyTaxidermy

I had also forgot to mention that this is an older pelt. Would that change anything?

5. AlpineValleyTaxidermy

All the views this gets and no one answers my second question? Someone??

6. Crittrstuffr

Sorry just saw this. You have to be careful of what is referred to as Acid Rot on some older tans. The leather literally falls apart. You have to decide if the problem is worth the risk of possible repair. If the grease on the paws is a deal breaker then nothing to loose but you have to make that call. You'll learn something either way. let us or in this case me know how it works out. Good luck

7. AlpineValleyTaxidermy

Ok so I cut off small pieces of skin from the badger hide. These were all thin parts of skin. The pieces softened up pretty fast, The one piece stretched pretty good. In meaning it stretched quite a bit. But the one piece from the lower parts of the underside of the pelt kinda ripped pretty easily when I pulled at it. None of the pieces turned to a wet cardboard and completely dissolved, but the one piece ripped pretty easily. That was a little concerning to me. Do you think that, that was acid rot or was it just because the skin was really thin??

8. AlpineValleyTaxidermy

And now there was a very tiny piece I cut off. The skin was kind of a weird brownish color so I put it in the water and let it soak. That piece teared apart very easily. Though the color of the skin of the piece I cut off was brownish so that would probably explain that.

9. AlpineValleyTaxidermy

Should I risk it? Is there any way to get rid of acid rot. I really wanted to mount this badger. Maybe should I just soft the hide a little bit by just putting a little bit of water on the inside of the skin using a paper towel or q-tip to soften the skin enough to put it one a form?

10. AlpineValleyTaxidermy

Or do you think the skin is pulling apart easily because I’m pulling at it pretty hard. Along with most of those pieces being thin skin. Because none but two very small pieces ripped without much pulling.

11. AlpineValleyTaxidermy

I was also planning on making her a softmount too.

12. Crittrstuffr

I wouldn't dance around the project so to speak to much if I were you . The reality is it's going to work or it's going to fall apart. Yes that sounds to me like acid rot. The tannery didn't neutralize the tanning solution and it stays in the leather and eventually it falls apart. Most tanneries have gotten better at that issue. Soak it up in cold salted water and see what it does. Good thing is Badgers are relatively easy to find and buy so you can still have a Badger for you shop and or collection. IMO a freshly tanned skin will be more enjoyable to mount then one you have to worry about falling apart every time you do something to get it on the form and mounted. Nothing to loose but some time. Good Luck

Valley Fur Shed likes this.
  13. Crittrstuffr

If it has acid rot a soft mount will be a total waste of your time. The more your able to flex the skin the more it will totally fall apart. Having the skin completely glued to a form gives you a chance.

Valley Fur Shed likes this.
  14. AlpineValleyTaxidermy

Ok then I guess I’ll stick to doing a life size. I was just planning on doing a softmount. But if the only way I could save this badger would be doing a lifesize it wouldn’t bother me. I’m pretty sure I could mount it. Do you think I should soak the whole thing or should I just apply water to the inside of the skin?

15. AlpineValleyTaxidermy

And when I do try mounting this badger I’ll make a post on it. I’ll tell you guys if it turns out

16. AlpineValleyTaxidermy

Oh, and this is a case skin. Should I make a ventral or dorsal cut to be able to get it on a form or should I just cut the front legs of the form, put them in first, put the rest of the body form in, and glue them back on like I do with squirrels.

17. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Like you do squirrels , cut apart

18. AlpineValleyTaxidermy

Ok thanks

19. Crittrstuffr

Yes cut it as 13 Point suggested. I dorsal cut all mine but that's just a preferred method I use personally. Some cut the ventrally or down the belly not the back. Good luck