1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First Goose

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Bigjon2, Jul 9, 2021.

1. Bigjon2

Bigjon2 New Member

Trying to do my first goose. upload_2021-7-9_19-9-36.jpeg
    Do I have to skin the wings past what I did in the picture?

Also, how do you measure for an artificial head?

Do I need to soak my bird in white gas after I wash it?

Thank you for all the help! It is really appreciated!

msestak likes this.
  2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Do you need a quality DVD? Yes.

msestak and BrookeSFD16 like this.

3. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

1) No but there is a little meat in the wrist area - make an incision
    2) I use artificial heads on all my waterfowl - have never measured
    3) No you don't need to - but degrease/defat it completely. Then wash and rinse completely
    4) Do you need a quality DVD? Yes.

KLFL, msestak and BrookeSFD16 like this.
  4. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

you actually went one joint too far …. you may have trouble putting wings back together once you separated the secondaries from the bone…stay away from white gas…tumble and take the extra time in blow drying

msestak likes this.
  5. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Since you have opened the wing that far, it helps to inject a little white caulk into the wing when mounting to aid in setting the feathers correctly. This is one more tip you will learn from a good waterfowl DVD.

magicmick, msestak and BrookeSFD16 like this.
  6. Bigjon2

Bigjon2 New Member

Thanks everyone for the help!! I really appreciate it!!
    Is there a specific DVD that you prefer for beginners? I am looking to mount this goose in a flying pose.

msestak likes this.
  7. Wally Gator

Wally Gator Well-Known Member

Matt Smith has great DVD’s, look up Blue Ribbon Birds on Facebook.While you wait on the DVD, go to McKenzie’s site and look through the instructional videos. Shane Smith has a great one there. I definitely don’t want to discourage you, but a goose is a tough bird for a rookie. They are very greasy. Wash at least 3 times in Dawn, then rinse many times allowing the bird to soak a while in the rinse water. Dry thoroughly with a shop vac then a hair dryer before mounting. It usually takes me over an hour to dry a Canada goose. Clean and dry are the two most important things with birds.
    As far as head size, there are multiple sizes available for many geese. Per McKenzies catalog, the length is the longest distance of the bill- from the tip of the nail to the point just in front of the eye.
    Blessings,
    Wally

magicmick, jessewild and Wildthings like this.
  8. I second Wally Gator's recommendation of Matt Smith's DVD's. They are well worth the cost of admission and then some. Also, Frank Newmeyer has a great DVD on mounting a White Front/Spec that would translate well to your mount, can be found at McKenzies as well.

9. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

I wouldn't send Matt Smith any money just yet. I never received my 4-DVD set I ordered on April 30th. After calling him in June and his response of "must have got lost in the mail, I'll send out another set" and still nothing, then having his "voicemail box not set up", I have now filed a claim with PayPal to get my money back. Joe

10. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

I’m not a large goose fan.
    If a customer wants a one of a kind mount of hanging dead geese and leaves it up to me on the mount I send them this and tell them it’s ready. FF6FBF86-CE0B-43FE-82FC-18F297FD7DB4.jpeg

magicmick, stuffit44, msestak and 5 others like this.
  11. DINNER!!!

12. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

Byrd, why do you say "one joint to far"? looks to me that it has been skinned right to the stopping point exposing all the joints for proper cleaning and preservation. The remaining meat beyond the wrist can be injected between to two bones after you wire

13. Kostyniuk-outdoors

Kostyniuk-outdoors Alberta free and proud

Must be a one off. Ive bought 2 of his dvds since January and both arrived within 3 weeks to Canada no issues. And hands down the best dvds on bird work ive ever seen.

14. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

Lucky for me I used PayPal and just got my money back yesterday from PayPal. I would much rather have had the four DVD's i ordered from him as I have heard good things about them and even after 50 years of taxidermy I love to keep seeing other methods learning new things!
    PayPal.png

magicmick, KLFL and msestak like this.
  15. I got mine within a week. Hands down the best dvds ive purchased. U will regret not buying. People sometimes make mistakes. If u dont your not human in my opinion

16. Bigjon2

Bigjon2 New Member

So an update:
    I purchased the DVD of mounting a flying goose by Andy Campbell, and watched the whole thing through. I also watched waterfowl basics by Shane Smith (I am using his form for my goose so that helped a ton). However, I still am unsure on what I should do with the wingtips after I skin to the wrist.
    Do I make a cut on the ventral side and scrape out the last bit of meat in the wingtip? Or can I just inject it with Bird feet fluid once I am done mounting? If I make the small cut do I need to sew it(dumb question)?
    I am asking these three questions as both dvds did not specifically clarify on how the wingtip is done, unless I missed something.

Thank you everyone for the help! You folks are amazing!

17. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Yes, open up and scrape out,, sew if flying and don't have to for standing but can.

magicmick likes this.
  18. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Good on you for getting the DVDs!

Injecting fluid into meat instead of removing the meat is not a good idea in my opinion. I removed the meat from the tips of quail and even did a little scraping in the wing tips of the parakeets I did. The only injecting I did was in the feet.

19. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

Make the cut on the ventral side and scrape out the meat. Be sure to apply borax in there also. If the flying goose pose doesn't show this area then the decision is yours to sew or not sew

20. Bigjon2

Bigjon2 New Member

Thanks for all the help folks! I mounted the goose and I am waiting for it to dry.
    This was definitely the hardest, most frustrating taxidermy project that I have done to date. Turned out better than I expected.