1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Effort Vs Pricing?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Mudbat, Jul 15, 2021.

1. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

Definitely it's a challenge working two jobs and finding family time. That's not just for part-time taxidermists.

I suppose all that is left to be said is that money, even really good money, can be made in fish taxidermy, if that's the goal.

What's nice is you don't have to be a commercial taxidermist to do taxidermy.

So many options to enjoy this fulfilling endeavor :)

Mudbat likes this.
  2. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

Yeah I tried doing it full time. Spending days and days per single fish and making no money. Had to go back to a reg job so I could pay the bills. I only know of couple full time fish only guys. 1 just recently went out of buisness, 3 charge either what I will be or substantially more per inch, and use predominant their own molds from their mold library.

I also find the per inch pricing to be odd.
    A 16 inch brookie is going to take the same amount of time as say a 40 inch king.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021

3. Crittrstuffr

Crittrstuffr Active Member

Don't take your family time for granted folks . . . I worked fulltime and ran mostly fulltime taxi business while my daughter was younger. I went to things I should have but missed out on the day to day things. I have a 12 year old son now and I wont do taxidermy work when he's with me ( 7 days with me 7 days with his mom ). Customers can wait . . . time wont!

4. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

In bird work I will mount groom then wrap up and set aside to dry for wholesale….for retail for a good customer I charge more and will babysit and groom for next three days… other than that I try to put out the same quality every time

5. byrdman

I never charged per inch when I did fish…had a base price for perch/panfish…bass…walleye… musky/pike….and all trout/salmon were quoted individually as per FD head vs fake head or skin mt vs repo, never had an issue

6. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    This horse has been beat to death 20 times over
    Your pricing is just that your pricing
    If you don’t develope a business model and define want you want to make profit wise
    Then it’s your fault that you can’t make a living
    At normal hours of operation
    A dear friend of mine made millions doing only fish,
    And was doing these at a very reasonable cost to your average joe
    Then expanded his business into forms
    Target your market
    Advertise to that market and make it happen
    This is what he always told me
    And was good advise

Mudbat likes this.
  7. Clew

York, SC
    Frank!
    Let em keep guessing

Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  8. 1fish2fish

Was he/she an artist or an Archie?

Clew likes this.
  9. Clew

York, SC
    Hmmmm mm?

10. Monty Python

Monty Python Member

This is an interesting subject and reminds me of a conversation I had with my brother a couple of years ago. I was showing him some pics of some world class work from a few guys that I admire. He looked at them and said, " you know, those look great but from a guy that don't know what the differences are, they look pretty much the same as yours." This sometimes makes me wonder if it's not just us as taxidermists that can appreciate the extra effort we put in such as tipping, details etc. I'm in no way advocating that we half-ass our work, but have to wonder sometimes we are not overly critical of ourselves. The 2 fish shown are good examples: either one would please most any customer.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
    1fish2fish likes this.
  11. 1fish2fish

Most deer hunters can't see past the horns.

And they're going to price shop or just go wherever their buddy got his/her mount.

They may pick up on the differences if displayed next to another mount, but that gets kindda icky.

With fish, I think a bad job shows, and obvious differences between mounts may stand out a bit more to the untrained eye. And yet....well, ya know.

Monty Python likes this.
  12. Clovis Point

Clovis Point Active Member

Anybody who tries to say that they do the absolute best work they possibly can on every specimen that comes through their shop is a liar.

13. Clovis Point

A

Also. THIS. I went through this delima early on in my deer career... like when I read 13pts post about how you have to educate and school your customer and show them all these little details of questionable importance for them to nitpick on other mounts..... I tried to imagine doing that with my customers and when I envision their reaction I just imagine them rolling their eyes and mocking me in the car after they leave by sticking their pinky out drinking pretend tea and wearing a monicle and saying “oh yes Geoffrey look at that deers realistic veining in its inner nasal septic, that ABSOLUTELY justifies paying an additional $300. Anyone who’s deer doesn’t have these details is obviously a peasant” and then saying “that boujee mfer thinks I’m gonna pay $800 just so my deer can have veins behind its nose hairs, yeah ****ing right...”.
    Sounds a lot to me like something that would be a good strategy in the affluent, competitive, dick-measuring sub divisions of New England, where ego fueled compensators are always looking for a chance to put their neighbors and friends down but not something that would work out here in the holler, where hunting is an activity that can still be enjoyed by poor folk and the very few people that do have the money to afford an $800 deer mount are more tight than anybody.

People have trouble objectively understanding markets. What works in one does not work in others. Each market has its own rules of play for success.

Ken 2 likes this.
  14. 15pt

15pt Well-Known Member

Alabama
    Been saying this for a while now! Just like a housing market. In my small town a house that might sell for $150,000 would go for twice that 3 hrs south of here. But then again the price subject has been beat more times than the DP VS TANNING.

15. 1fish2fish

Ever buy anything online rather than the local tractor supply?

Mudbat likes this.
  16. byrdman

numerous times Ive had people show me pics of the deer head they “ just got back” and Im sickened by some of the quality….but they are proud as punch…. mostly due to the rack….

1fish2fish and Mudbat like this.
  17. Clew

York, SC
    When I do my fish, I do my best, and I’m not saying competition type work.
    I do allot of mounts that require competition quality but I charge accordingly
    But my commercial mounts exceed all those around me, I do add tipping and a non monochrome paint job.
    And when I’m told joe joe down the road charges this!
    I tell them please by all means take it to joe joe
    But take a look first at what I offer
    I’m not going to buy work
    They come to me because of the good service and good Quality they get.

Mudbat likes this.
  18. Clovis Point

Constantly ... I hate the local Total Screwya Co

19. 1fish2fish

Mudbat likes this.
  20. Clovis Point