1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Rabbit Pelt Problems

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Alex zeez, Jul 16, 2021.

1. Alex zeez

Alex zeez Member

This is my first time tanning a pelt for taxidermy, I’m using rabbits. I figure it’s cheap and will be good to practice on. I’m wondering if I can split open a case skinned pelt and just have it flat? Or will that prevent me from being able to mount the pelt? It’s like a sleeve right now and it’s really hard to flesh. And I need help skinning the feet? The skin is so tight around them that I can’t skin it. Is there a way to cut the hide to make it easier to skin them out?

I just tried to flesh a case skinned rabbit pelt after it was salted and pickled for a day and ripped about 20 holes in it haha. Gonna wait until I get my bearings to try again. I wasn’t even able to fully flesh it!

2. Hey!

I’m doing my first rabbits too I’ve worked on smaller rodents though, and was lucky to be able to do one deer. I’ve found many videos and helpful people on here that have helped me learn how to do the feet.

Something I always take into consideration is the anatomy, and regardless of the animal, I always look up their bone structure, especially for feet, so you know where to cut the toe joint in order to keep the claws on your pelt. (The last joint with the claw, you cut between that one and the one before)

You know how to invert the legs? It’s a slow process but if you lightly cut the skin and tendons as you go, you can skin it inside out and downward. Keep the bone as your “handle” and just keep your cuts light. It takes lots of patience

I suggest looking up some videos on YouTube or somewhere to see how to do the foot :) That’s how I learned and now I’m a lot better at doing them. I’m sorry I’m not much help as I’m just learning too, but if I can help, let me know! ^-^

3. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Ok from the top , yes you can cub it anywhere you want , just remember you have to sew it . 2 Not sure why it’s salted and put in a pickle not fleshed, that said , you need to rehydrate it to get it back to a very pliable stage . Everyone will tell you different brine recipes for hydration, for the safest brine and it takes longer but 3 lbs salt to gallon water and it will never slip . But 1 to 1 will work. Once pliable, turn and open all then scrape and pull , you are trying to flesh and tan one of the thinnest hides there are . Don’t use anything sharp to scrape with . I use a table spoon to scrape then any pcs I can I grab and pull off . Lastly all the holes you cut try glueing them shut instead of sewing.

Honey the Bean likes this.
  4. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

You can leave the legs tubed and cut a small relief incision about 1” long from the back off each paw pad up the back of the leg. This will allow you to invert the paw skin easier and get it all fleshed properly. Or, you can cut all the way up the back of each leg to a center belly incision and have the entire hide where it will lay out flat. But remember, like 13 point said, whatever incisions you make will have to be sewed back up. For me, the less I have to sew the better, but for someone new I understand it may be easier to make the incisions. Good luck!