1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bullet Hole

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by SeanSr30, Jul 17, 2021.

1. SeanSr30

SeanSr30 Member

Just got my first skull in with a bullet hole in the forehead! Have you guys ever tried to repair this somehow or just run with what you have?

msestak likes this.
  2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Did client ask u to fix ? If he did, charge more and fix with an apoxy, if not don’t worry bout it

msestak likes this.

3. SeanSr30

SeanSr30 Member

I was given this skull, I'd like to use it in my showroom. Just haven't run into a bullet hole before lol. I'm not familiar with epoxies either

msestak likes this.
  4. 13 point

Apoxy sculpt is 2 part clay epoxy is normally a glue . In that case I’d leave the hole

msestak likes this.
  5. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Depends on appearance. You can fix or leave it. Might be a chance to test your skills and have it on display. You can fill the hole with Apoxy and texture it to match the surface before it sets. Another thing you can try is to back up the hole with something. Even a piece of tape will do. Take plain old baking soda and fill the hole with it. Mound it up a little above the surface. Now take cyanoacrylate glue (Crazy Glue, Superglue etc) and wet down the baking soda with it. It will almost immediately solidify. When fully set, you can lightly sand it down to match the surface. You can also fill in cracks this way.

6. vic h

vic h Active Member

That's pretty cool SW. I've not heard that one before. A few years ago I discovered that I could put some superglue liquid in a small container and mix in Johnson baby powder and stir in into a gell or paste about the same as toothpaste. you'll have about a 5 min window to do what ever to spread it thick or thin, fill holes, bond things together, and even glue for example the lips of a bear skin to a jaw set. When you have got it in place hit it with a spray of Accellerator and it sets the glue within seconds. This also is able to be sanded. Only use the old type of baby powder not the new stuff that is made with corn starch instead of talcum powder.
    Vic

msestak likes this.
  7. SeanSr30

SeanSr30 Member

I think I'm going to try this just to try it! Thank you

8. SeanSr30

SeanSr30 Member

Here's 2 I just finished

Attached Files:

9. Sea Wolf

Very nice looking. Google that baking soda stunt and there are some good videos on it too.

SeanSr30 likes this.
  10. webster

webster Well-Known Member

Here's a skull from a road killed buck that I id.

I epoxied the pieces back in place and use a filler of white bathroom shower tile grout, mixed with a 50/50 solution of water and white glue.

There is no air brushing and you cannot find the joints

a004_0a.jpg a006_2a.jpg a009_5a.jpg

SeanSr30 likes this.
  11. SeanSr30

SeanSr30 Member

So I did the baking soda and super glue it filled in very nicely but still sticks out like a sore thumb....what can I use to blend it in more color wise? I'll try to get a picture up tomorrow

12. SeanSr30

SeanSr30 Member

20210726_162957.jpg

13. SeanSr30

SeanSr30 Member

I guess it don't look as bad as I thought lol

14. 13 point

I’d be more concerned about the seem gap

SeanSr30 likes this.
  15. Sea Wolf

Yeah. Might not be too late as you can always do the baking soda trick again. Soak it again and, before it dries, get a couple of decent furniture clamps on it. Put a run of Elmer's Glue down in that gaping suture line, let it run down inside the split and then tighten the clamps on it to force it closed. Wipe off any glue that gets squashed out before it dries. Leave it clamped for a week to make sure it is absolutely dry. Should close up that crack and prevent it from splitting open further with temp/humidity changes.

That repair doesn't look too bad considering. Might be in normal household light you would not see that at all.

SeanSr30 likes this.
  16. SeanSr30

SeanSr30 Member

Yep I planned on it. When I got it , it had been sitting out in the elements for who knows how long. Parts of the skull were. Busted that I glued into place its very very fragile barely grab it and something else wants to break. I'm gonna try clamps but I'm afraid it may make it worse. Won't hurt to try tho.

17. 13 point

Just make sure it’s wet , being soaked allows it to move . Better chance it won’t break when you go to clamp it .