1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hog Hide

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by keithfernandez, Jul 19, 2021.

1. keithfernandez

keithfernandez New Member

I fleshed out a hog hide and tanned it. It became rock hard and I can't stretch/break it in. Any suggestions on how to make it soft and pliable?

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

How , and what did you use to tan it ?

3. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

How did you tan the hide? Did you thin the hide and oil it? There are a lot of variables so it is a little hard to answer the questions without knowing what your procedure was and how you handled it to this point. The breaking and stretching process (to soften the hide) is done while it is drying. It is a lot of hard work on something like a hog hide. To do so you will have to re-hydrate the hide and start that part of the process over.

4. keithfernandez

keithfernandez New Member

Skinned, fleshed, tried to thin as much of the shield down as possible, tanned it with Knobloch's hide tanning formula. I read somewhere that you want to shave down the hide to the point that you can see kinda the little pockets each hair is in. Not deep enough to expose the root or anything, but to the point it looks like a little needle was poked all over the hide. I tried to stretch it before it was dry but it locked up pretty quickly and the hide is still so thick. I tried shaving it down a little more in some spots but if I go any thinner the hair slips.

5. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Your thin enough if you see those pockets. Pig skins don’t stretch out like other skins do but you can make them soft. Just like the squirrel skin do the same here and break over a blunt edge.