1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Scrimshaw Walrus Ivory/baleen Pendant

Discussion in 'For Sale' started by TaakurTabalut, Jul 20, 2021.

1. TaakurTabalut

TaakurTabalut New Member

[​IMG]
    I have for sale one pendant made from carved Walrus Ivory with a whale Baleen cap. Purchased entirely legally from an old Alaskan native. Asking $150 (shipping included) or best offer. PM me here or email me at [email protected].
    Thanks
    Sav

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
  2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

You may have bought them legally , but I don’t think you can resell . You might ck into the legal issues first . I hate seeing anyone get into trouble for being ignorant to said laws .

If I’m wrong I apologize.

3. TaakurTabalut

TaakurTabalut New Member

I'm pretty sure it's legal since it's old scrimshaw, but I will double check. Definitely don't want to get in trouble

4. “Pacific walruses are protected by the Marine Mammal Protection Act of 1972 (16 U.S.C. 1361 et seq.)* and may only be harvested by coastal dwelling Alaska
    Natives. Walrus ivory offered for sale that
    was harvested after 1972 may only be carved by Alaska Natives. Once carved and sold, anyone may resell Alaska Native art and craftwork made of walrus ivory.”

This came from the U.S. Department of the Interior; Indian Arts and Crafts Board. It’s completely legal to resell. Hope this helped!

5. TaakurTabalut

TaakurTabalut New Member

Thanks!!!!

6. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Yep great to hear , I learned something, thanks

7. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

Animal Kingdom is correct. The picture you show is not Scrimshaw. It must have something carved on it to be called Scrimshaw. Cutting as you show without any carved scene or other kind of artwork will not meet the definition of Scrimshaw.

8. TaakurTabalut

TaakurTabalut New Member

It is carved though...

nemo likes this.
  9. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Your pendant is fine and feel free to sell it. It is a native made piece of art and it is fully legal to sell. If you can still have the native write you a small slip of paper with his name and that he sold it to you would be handy. Sometimes these pieces are also signed somewhere. The head section also appears to be either fossilized or partly mineralized ivory as well which is entirely exempt.

TaakurTabalut likes this.
  10. mislynx

mislynx Active Member

What if it was made by a girl

11. Sea Wolf

And your point? Just another Taxidermy Troll. Nothing of importance to see here. Moving on.

KLFL likes this.
  12. mislynx

mislynx Active Member

Not a troll just kidding you said his and he

msestak likes this.
  13. Sea Wolf

Carvers in the NW Coast and Alaska are generally men. Women do not carve. It is not that it is a taboo, they are busy with many other things that they do.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
  14. TaakurTabalut

TaakurTabalut New Member

Ttt