1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Lachrymal Gland Help

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by akhenenra, Jul 21, 2021 at 6:59 PM.

1. akhenenra

akhenenra Member

Doing my second whitetail mount, going much better than the first. I had trouble with the lachrymal glands last time and I took some advice from here to widen the slot a little to help get it in there. Well it seemed perfect when I did it but I guess I must have cut right through the skin as I was tucking it because as it dried it pulled out and is split. Aside from being more careful, any other tips? More hide paste? Secure it with pins/tacks?

And now the I am where I am, what's the best way to salvage this area? Should I try rehydrating and pulling it back together? I've read that some taxidermists just shove epoxy or wax in there, wasn't sure whether that was good advice.

Attached Files:

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Skin must be thin out into the surrounding area. You must have slack skin in the surrounding area to push toward the slot. Force hide paste into the slot. Use clay around the slot to pinch the skin in and shape. I never use the whole inside (hairless) skin in the slot. I just use about a 1/4" or so, so that there is no crowding of the skin much like tucking lips.

3. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

form the slot for the skin and use a small T-pin to push and hold the skin in the slot. if done right you can bury the T-pin in that slot and leave it there, holding the skin in place.

Terry Bennett and akhenenra like this.
  4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

This is one if those areas that need constant attention for the first 3-4 days. Lay a bead of clay atop a cut lacrymal slot. Make it half inch deep or more paint a heavy coat of glue over it.
    Gently tuck the skin into the slot. I always used the 3 inch japan pins to seat other gland inside. I cut the head of the pin off, bent it into an "L" and seated it down inside the form. Then I would shape the clay through the hide. For the first 2 days I'd take my sculpting tool and go over the gland every time I passed to insure it wasn't drumming. After day 2, it was the first thing I did when I walked into the shop and the last thing I did before the lights were turned off.

5. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Thin skin , lots of glue , small slit , bag it , retuck twice a day for 4 days keeping bag on it for those 4 days only taking it off to rework everything then back on .
    For what you have now , I would just apoxy and paint

6. akhenenra

akhenenra Member

Tanglewood Taxidermy likes this.