1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

The "summer Slump"

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by joeym, Jul 22, 2021.

1. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Every year it's the same ol' thing. The first third of my customers think I'm a god, the second third think I'm just a regular ol' taxidermist, and the final third think I'm a sumb!tch. At this time of the year, as mounts get finished, it's the same ol' excuses..."we're at the beach, we're tied up with soccer or baseball, or we're heading to the mountains...wish you had completed it earlier". It takes 80 manhours per week to keep my little business from lapsing hopelessly behind. I have two great young men assisting me, and we put out a ton of work...but right now...the walls are full, the floor is cluttered, and we still have 25% of the annual workload to complete..."Taxidermy for Fun & Profit", the little ad in Boy's Life said 52 years ago...the fun subsides when the profit is way out on the horizon!

2. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

ahh come on… its still fun or you wouldnt do it !!

joeym likes this.

3. drob

drob Active Member

Boy's life magazine was great !

joeym likes this.
  4. Clovis Point

Clovis Point Active Member

I tell you what, if the tannery doesn’t get my hides done pretty quick I just might have to drive up there and open up a stone cold Steve Austin can of you know what because I’ve just about run out of shit to stuff

joeym likes this.
  5. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

I remember the JW Elwood course ads in outdoor magazines. Boys! Men! Earn extra cash! Big money profits! I fell for them. Oh well.

6. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I’ll tell you how to stop that . From the beginning tell them and put it in writing, give them 2 weeks to pk up after contact , after that turn it over to a bill collection agency, and charge interest on bal and storage . Don’t waiver from it either. You can make a deal with a collection company for one set price and they will handle say x amount of cases . I promise you this will stop this issue and keep the scum from maybe even using you , but you don’t want that kinda clientele anyway.
    In today’s world when they give you the excuse they can’t get there for whatever reason, just say ok then just PayPal or Venmo your bal and pick up when you can . Thanks

joeym, Robert Baker and James Marsico like this.