1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Looking For Advice Regarding Skinning Snake With Head.

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by ReptiGuy1, Jul 24, 2021.

1. ReptiGuy1

ReptiGuy1 New Member

FL
    So I have a couple of snakes that I would like to try my hand at skinning and tanning but I'm running into a bit of an issue I can't seem to find advise on. So the thing about these snakes is the patterning on the head is pretty unique then drastically changes after the base of the skull, thus making it a huge shame to have to lop the heads off. I also ideally would like to do skeletal articulation with them after skinng also. Drying the skull with the skin could be an option I guess but looking for advice on best way to go about this.

These two specimens I couldn't be convinced to part with either as they were my person animals and a couple of my favorites at that which is why I'd like to find the best way to do them justice. The snakes are a Vietnamese blue beauty about 8ft long and a Cameron highlands ridleys cave racer about 5ft. Any guidance is appreciated. Picture is of the ridleys

Attached Files:

2. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

you can remove lower half of skull and leave top part attached to skin

3. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

I do a number of snakes every year (usually rattlesnakes) and I’ve always skinned the snake completely, removing the skin from the skull. I’ve not mounted that particular type of snake - maybe the skin is attached to the skull something like an alligator - but all of the snakes I have skinned I was able to skin the head and salvage the skull.