1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Pickle Ph Over Time

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Dingo.303, Jul 27, 2021.

1. Dingo.303

Dingo.303 Member

hey guys whats the general gist regarding - say i have a pickle batch and its all good, in say 3-4 months of the pickle in container- lid off- is the Ph likely to change ? if so which way? up or down. (can only really go 'up' ?)

not sure if im trusting my el cheapo ph paper?

thanks alot

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I have found it can go up some , so weak . That said if it’s in a warm area it can evaporate some and that can change it also. Just go to the pharmacy near ya and get some new ph paper

Frank E. Kotula likes this.

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Exactly open containers will lose acid due to evaporation .

4. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Evaporation and pH change will largely be negligible and will depend on the type of acid you are using. Formic, acetic and hydrochloric acids are volatile in concentrated form and somewhat less in a dilute solution, i.e. a pickle. Evaporation can theoretically cause a rise in pH. Coverings are recommended even so as you don't want any of those fumes in your work area.

If non-volatile acids, Safety, sulfuric, citric, oxalic, are used the evaporation of pickles could, theoretically, cause a lowering of pH.

I cover pickles regardless. Carbon dioxide, from sources such as a clothes drier vented inside, can and will be absorbed by a solution thus causing a rise in pH.

Bottom line, cover the pickles and check them periodically..

Frank E. Kotula likes this.