1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Paint Stripper

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Paul Love, Jul 28, 2021.

1. Paul Love

Paul Love New Member

What is the best paint stripper to strip paint off old tarpon reproduction?

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Many will work but do a spot test on the back side as I’ve seen the plastic melt off cause of a poor cast by piss poor companies that the client dealt with by their choice and thought they got a deal till they received it.
    Acetone
    Lacquer thinner
    Air craft paint remover
    Kwik strip
    Klean strip
    Just to name a few

3. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

Frank, as a master and fish expert I would assume you would know that any fiberglass resin is not plastic. The chemical formulation for both fiberglass layup resin and gel coat is the same other than the addition of titanium dioxide to the resin to make gel coat. This addition makes gel coat waterproof while resin is not. All fiberglass resins including gel coat use the same hardener MEKP, as you should know. The chemical formulation for both is a universal mixture and does not vary other than packaging and labeling. There is however some tweaking done to gel coat with the amount of titanium dioxide for specialty mixtures and the addition of colorants and refined titanium dioxide that is clear and used for surf boards and waterproofing zoo and aquarium displays. You made a good point in doing a test spot if you are unsure about a stripper, but very seldom should there be a issue with commercial paint strippers. Acid based strippers are often used on boat hulls with no ill effect on properly cured gel coat. I have used MEKP High Point 90 as a stripper with great results. With all that said, there should be no problems using any over the counter products to remove paint from a gel coated part

4. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

LCRs premier line and anything your going to get from mckenzie are all roto cast out of urethane IE plastic. Two of the most popular places to get blanks from for most.
    Ive personally melted one stripping paint.

Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  5. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I’ve been using a product called Citrus Strip on several old signs I’m cleaning up. I thought I’d try it on a fish at some point.

6. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Yep been there done that. Luckily I tried it on the back side first. I ended up dropping it right in a sink full of water to attempt to stop the stripper, which luckily worked but I had to do some apoxy work to repair the back non show side, crapola. I now won't strip replicas. I wipe em down with a rag and acetone and then white out, if I need to repaint one.

Clew likes this.
  7. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Hey mudbait hopefully you know the difference two lol as I know your also a master at your fish work!
    I could have sworn I said plastic and not fiberglass as their both used in making fish reproduction.

8. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

My bad for assuming the OP was about fiberglass fish blanks and the question was about urethane blanks. Two different animals, and I apologize for my assumption

Frank E. Kotula likes this.