1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Booklice? Issue

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by geckofactor, Jul 30, 2021.

1. geckofactor

geckofactor New Member

I have what appear to be either booklice or springtails in my dermestid colony. In 20 years of keeping beetles I've been lucky enough that this is my first issue with any pest species. They came in on egg crates I put in two of my colonies even though they were frozen I guess they were insulated better than I thought. So my questions are is that what this is? If so besides just drying out the colony any suggestions on getting rid of them? Would formic acid still work? They don't seem to bother the beetles at all but they definitely bother me. Humidity inside the tanks is slightly high at around 40% right ow but dropping. Humidity in the room the enclosures are in is down to 29%

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
  2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Can't see your videos because you have them set to "Private".

3. geckofactor

geckofactor New Member

For some odd reason they got de-listed and wont allow me to make them public here's a re-up

4. Sea Wolf

Not a high enough resolution to see them but that movement is not mites. I want to say book lice. Springtails, I believe, are bigger, slower .. and jump. I would think they would annoy the beetles whether they are harming anything or not. Trying the bee strips certainly can't hurt. Just having those in there would make me crazy.

5. geckofactor

geckofactor New Member

Yeah there's no way I can get a clear picture of just one without a macro lens. I think they're booklice people keep saying springtails but they are usually a little bigger. Humidity without dehumidifiers going 24/7 in the room goes back up close to 40% so that's probably about as low as I can keep it at the moment. I guess I'll see if numbers go down then try if they don't try mite strips if that doesn't work I guess I'll nuke the colony and start over which I would have already done if I didn't have a freezer to work through. Either way springtails and booklice both eat dead stuff so I think it may be tough to completely get rid of them.

6. geckofactor

geckofactor New Member

A couple days in it's proven extremely difficult to keep humidity any lower when it's so hot in the enclosure as is. So the population hasn't done much. Still can't really get a decent picture.

[​IMG]

7. Sea Wolf

You'd have to use a 35mm camera I think. But I'm putting money on book lice. Temp in the enclosure doesn't need to be above 80 and shouldn't be because the beetles fly at higher temps. Must be someway to ventilate it with a fan and get the humidity down. Either that, if the bedding itself is wet/damp, yank it out and replace it with dry bedding. I use shredded newspapers. Get free newspapers and run them through a home office shredder.