1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Need Advise For A Baby Skunk Mount

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by Triad Taxidermy, Jul 31, 2021.

1. Triad Taxidermy

Triad Taxidermy Member

I have 3 baby skunks that I need to make a mold for then hopefully pour urethane foam into it to make a manakin.
    Never done this before and need some advise on the process. I'm looking at RTV rubber silicone. Am I on the right track?
    Thanks for the help.

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Your looking to do a carcass cast , I would use bondo , look in tutorials on here there are many ways . I would get a casting with bondo , refine it then maybe use RTV to make mother mold, but I’d still probably reinforce with bondo , plaster or glass .

Frank E. Kotula likes this.

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I'd skin em, pose em and freeze and then use plaster for a mold or trace and carve depending on pose.

4. Triad Taxidermy

Triad Taxidermy Member

I have 2 different poses, one standing on all four feet then one in a sleep position.
    They are pinned and frozen. If I use plaster how will that work when the carcass starts to thaw?

5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I thaw em some and dry the outside and then pour plaster over them.

6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Taxidermy Training Unlimited has a carcass casting DVD as does McKenzie. With those two DVDs, you should get ALL of your questions answered. They helped me.

7. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

wrap bodies and keep leg bones and skull intact like a bird mount then pose and freeze dry for best results

8. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Kulis Kastaway has DVDs on wrapping bodies.

9. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

you wrap body separate then wrap legs like a bird over bones then attach body to head by filling brain cavity with bondo or hot glue and inserting wire then wite it up sew it up pose freeze and
    freeze dry best results

coroner2 likes this.