1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fin Repair Question

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Wild Life, Aug 1, 2021.

1. Wild Life

Wild Life New Member

I have a King Salmon tail fin that I need to repair. I have worked with magic sculpted before but this fin is transparent. Can someone please tell me what I need to use to do the repair. I had thought about the stuff they make water splash scenes.
    Thanks for the help,

Rick
    King Salmon tail.jpg

2. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Cut it off and replace with a repo fin

JL, Westcoast, 3bears and 2 others like this.

3. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

Yeah… I wouldnt chalk that up to a “ repair” just order up another fin set and swap it out. Looks like a LCR

4. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Back with something rigid either plastic or cardboard via using contact cement. Then add smooth epox to gaps and either sculpt rays or harden and come back with a dremmel cutting wheel and grind in the rays. Easy fix - way easier than back-fitting a replacement fin AND it'll look better IMO!

joeym and Wild Life like this.
  5. Wild Life

Wild Life New Member

Will do thanks!

6. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

Easier to pick up the phone and order one.

3bears likes this.
  7. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Either route you go it isn’t an easy one. They all need epoxy work to painting.
    It depends on your experience and what time you want to put in.
    Personally I cut them right off and make another fin ( I’m lucky I have molds) and reinstall. Try to do little epoxy work around the scales and blend in the paint. Best of luck either way !

3bears likes this.
  8. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Ain’t easy?
    Come on frank
    Cut it off replace
    And finish seams

was doing this in 80s

Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  9. FishArt

You're high - NOT with practice my friend! You still have to find the replacement, make the phone call, wait for the product, lop off the old one, install and probably modify something to make the new one fit properly. And of course your structural integrity will never be as strong as keeping the original fin (and backed my way like all my fins are backed on wall mounts). Then, of course you still have to review and pay your credit card bill too lol! And how much for that replacement (set???)

My way is a half an hour of work max to the blending stage and less than a buck in materials. AND, I'm ready to paint if need be the next day. The trick again is doing it so often and getting the speed under your belt. DougP and I do/did it all the time and nobody could ever tell. Different strokes but a total fin replacement is always my last resort. Even if you have fin sets, it still most likely won't fit as well as the original. Amateurs. No wonder you guys are still working ha! lol ;)

10. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

Huh? It’s a LCR blank. Just order a fin set to swap out THE EXACT SAME FIN. Bill the customer for a fin set if they broke it or just be more careful and don’t drop it. Junction needs reworked anyway. All though that fin is terrible to start with your not going to build one by adding to it that looks better in any thing that resembles a timely manner. But then again you probably don’t need a amateur telling you who made it and who you can get the exact same fin from.

11. FishArt

You think that fin is "terrible" is what is humorous Mudbat! And so you find the exact, non-fitting LCR replacement tail and eliminate much of the fitting issues. You're still in for more than a half hour plus the cost. I charge extra for the fix and pocket that profit instead of paying LCR. And as far as final looks go? Doug P and myself have posted many fish in TWIFP's through the years with these fixes and sometimes total replacement fins fabricated totally out of the plastic and not even you noticed! Different strokes like I said. That's your comfort zone. I've done both. It seems silly to me for you to poo-poo a technique simply because you're unfamiliar with how to do it nor it's advantages to having this knowledge in a production shop...

12. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

My comfort zone is I don’t use LCR blanks cause they are shit and I have my own salmon fin molds. I know doug. Good guy. Ive learned a lot from him. I can’t recall seeing a post on here from doug since Ive been on taxi net. Also just because someone doesn’t comment doesn’t mean it’s not noticeable.
    I know the technique you referring to. Ive done it my self. Don’t assume to have a idea of what I’m “ comfortable” with. For the OP in this situation and going off the photo. It will be a lot easier and better looking in the end to use the shitty LCR fin.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
  13. FishArt

First off, I'm just messin with you Mudbat - you do nice work. I just think this technique is overlooked because it's old school and doesn't fit in today's snap together "taxidermy" world. And you are correct in that you may have noticed Doug's replacement fin. But, you didn't! NOBODY did or does!!! It's all in the talent level and which technique you're comfy with. I am not the best molder. If I were, I might be apt to use Frank's techniques more often. But, I'll never be a fan of ordering replacement fin sets unless it's a last resort. AT the very least it disrupts the flow of my shop. And you're usually not going to get lucky and have an exact replacement. Plus, I think my customer's appreciate getting "their fins" back too (because usually the fin repairs were for original skins for me...) JMO...

14. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

I do not use real fins. Only cast. In the end in my opinion good cast fins just look way nicer. To plump back out dried out crispy takes a lot of rebuilding. Specially on a cold water fish.

FishArt likes this.
  15. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

thats a terrible skin to fin jct as it is….maybe best to put new fin on and try to do a better blending job (caulk joint?)

FishArt likes this.