1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Degreasing Question

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Elkarcher, Aug 12, 2021.

1. Elkarcher

Elkarcher Member

Alaska
    Can I put a skull back into degrease after I have sealed it with wood glue without other issues? Had a dark spot show up and I hate paint. Thanks Tim

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Can't hurt to try. Never heard of using wood glue as a sealer. If it's water soluble, you will have to get it all off before you can try more degreasing. Maybe look on the back of the bottle and see if it offers any hints as to what will remove it. I use a sealer that dissolves with either acetone or alcohol so problems that become apparent later are easily dealt with.

3. Tnrandy

Tnrandy Active Member

If it's similar to elmers glue, warm water will work to remove it...then you should be able to degrease.

4. Elkarcher

Elkarcher Member

Alaska
    Thanks guys. I Did get it figured out. Not sure how wood glue got typed. I just use Elmer's glue to seal the skulls. It did come off after some soaking.

5. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

The problem with Elmer's is that it likes moisture. Any high humidity will soften the surface and allow dust and dirt to become part of the outer coating. Damp, sweaty hands will do the same thing. If you do a lot of skulls, look into using paraloid B72. Water and dirt proof and skulls can actually be washed if they get dirty.

6. Elkarcher

Elkarcher Member

Alaska
    I
    I might try the B72, dont really like the glue. That's just what a local taxidermist uses and what he wants any skulls i do for him sealed with. But I also spray them with a Krylon matte finish for the final coat