1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How To Preserve A Full Small Bird?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by stevejock1, Aug 13, 2021.

1. stevejock1

stevejock1 New Member

I had a bird just die (cockatiel). Rigor mortis hasn't set in yet but it's about to. I have her posed on a stick with her wings out and her neck propped up. I'm trying to figure how I can do a full mount and what is the best way. I've never done something like this before. I u Mobdro sually just do bones and skulls. Any immediate help would be appreciated before I mess something up. VidMate

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
  2. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

Wrap it up in a plastic bag and put it in the freezer until you figure out what to do. Don't rush. It will be fine in the freezer for months.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I did my parakeets pretty much the same way I do turkeys, grouse and quail. I would get DVDs on mounting quail from Research Mannikins and Taxidermy Training Unlimited and small bird mounting at Kulis Kastaway.

magicmick likes this.
  4. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

skin and mount like a normal bird but you need a relief cut on bare spot on neck to turn head…..otherwise you can remove breast and inards and stuff and sew up then wire and pose, freeze, then get into a freeze dry machine

magicmick likes this.