1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

2nd To Nature Manikins?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Triad Taxidermy, Aug 15, 2021.

1. Triad Taxidermy

Triad Taxidermy Member

Whats everyones opinion on their deer manikins?

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I tried them quite a few years ago and didn't like them. I remember trying 3 deer and one fallow deer. They had over built necks that didn't correlate with the average measurements of other mannikins. The ones I tried, had a ton of muscle detail like an un-natural deer on steroids. The tight neck measurement on the ones I tried, would be for a small deer and 3 inches down it was like for a large rutting buck, however, the form was not listed as for a rutting buck. Those larger neck measurements were not included in the description. They were not pleasant at all.

I don't know what they are like now, But back then, they were a no go for me.

Triad Taxidermy likes this.

3. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

I used their deer pretty much exclusively for years. As Tanglewood stated, many of them have heavy and exaggerated muscle detail. I got tired of spending extra time carding or going over them constantly trying to keep the skin from drumming out of the unnaturally deep crevices. They do have a line called "Nature's Basics" with less muscle detail but I never used them because of the stove pipe look of the neck. Another thing, the mannikins I was receiving had a lot of flashing, symmetry issues and small chunks of foam knocked out of them...apparently a production issue but required more time on my end to correct. I produced some nice mounts with them and many of the hunters loved the muscle bulk but I no longer use them.

I started using Bill Lancaster deer from Research. The form requires much less prep time, looks more natural and makes a fine overall mount in my opinion. I do still use Second 2 Nature for small mammals and such.

4. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I’ve used them heavily over the years. If you are a DP taxidermist, they work. For tanned skins, you will not be happy with them. Customers love the large necks and briskets. These manikins will earn you piles of “green ribbons”, but no blue ones.

5. drob

drob Active Member

Just received a lifesize coyote form from them.Looks good!

6. WLELTD

WLELTD Active Member

nothing from them looks good