1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Skull Id

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Oddball23, Aug 16, 2021.

1. Oddball23

Oddball23 New Member

Hey all just wondering if anyone could help me out identifying this skull my buddy found while in new jersey. Tia
    upload_2021-8-16_9-27-19.png

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

A lot of damage but I would guess that it is a young goat, possibly a sheep. Horns just starting to grow and the horn caps are long lost.

Oddball23 and joeym like this.

3. steve torna

steve torna New Member

Please provide a photo of the chewing surfaces of the teeth. It looks like a white-tailed deer skull to me but can't be sure without seeing the teeth.

4. Sea Wolf

First thought would have been a deer but those are not antlers. There are no pedicels. Those are bone cores left after the outer horn has come off.

5. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Small goat

6. steve torna

steve torna New Member

It is definitely a white-tailed deer. Only members of the family cervidae have a preorbital vacuity (the area anterior to the orbits where the sinuses are exposed). Look at photos of sheep and goat skulls and you will see that they do not have preorbital vacuities. The bone protruding from the skull is classic button buck, they almost never have pedicles. In any case, it is the vacuity that keys this to the family cervidae.
    http://www.jakegoheen.com/reprints/lab9_artiodactyla-perissodactyla_2017.pdf

7. Triad Taxidermy

Triad Taxidermy Member

guys.....its the Jersey Devil!

8. PA

PA Well-Known Member

I concur that it is a deer. I didn't want to second guess Sea Wolf, but someone did so I will weigh in. I would actually not be sure it is a button buck. I would guess a 1 1/2 year old poorly nutritioned buck deer. They often have very short spikes - I have shot a couple with much less than 3 inches of horn. A button buck has more rounded points and not as long.

9. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I have a blacktailed spike deer skull that looks just like that.

10. Sea Wolf

PA I would welcome your second guessing or outright correction at any time. I saw the exposed sinus area and just racked it up to the bone damage.