1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Gary Bowen Super Fish Gloss Leaving Milky Dull Finish

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Clovis Point, Aug 18, 2021.

1. Clovis Point

Clovis Point Active Member

I bought and used one can of Super Fish Gloss and was happy with the results . I use it on fish and deer noses as well as other oddball projects. I had no problems out of the first can but the second left a milky haze and wasnt glossy on a fish i did, I wiped it down and used a different finish (majik clear laquer) which wasnt milky but also I wasnt very satisfied with the end result. I assumed I got the poor results from not allowing my createx illustrator a full 36 hours to cure (I applied it about 16 hours after painting)

I recently decided to play around with hydrodripping some small mammal skulls I had laying around (just using spraypaint ) and made sure to allow a good 3-5 days for the paint to fully dry and cure but AGAIN the super fish gloss gave me a milky dull finish...\

To further confuse things I tried using triple thick on another skull, this one I airbrushed but allowed 48 hours to cure and the triple thick ALSO gave me a milky finish .....

What the heck is going on over here?

2. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

It's not the gloss, it's the humidity. You need to "flash" it on in small increments. A heavy spray grabs moisture from the atmosphere, encapsulates it and hence, you have a "milky" finish. It's a constant struggle in high humidity areas. I use "Enviro-Tex" on fish and hydro-dipped skulls to alleviate this issue, and to create a super gloss. It is mixed, brushed on, then flash it with a propane torch to extract air bubbles. It's messy, but the end result is awesome.

George and Wally Gator like this.

3. Wally Gator

Wally Gator Well-Known Member

Cl
    Clew has recently made me a believer in pour-on. He uses a different brand, but over the weekend I did a crappie and a bass with the Famowood from Home cheapo. Wow! What a difference. I just had to turn them periodically for a couple hours to prevent runs and drips. I will soon purchase a rotisserie for that.

Clew likes this.
  4. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Hit it with hot air right after you apply it,
    Aerosol will have air In it, the hot air helps blow the air out,
    A moisture trap on your compressor is a must
    I use clear coat table top from US Composites in west palm beach
    Lot cheaper the envirotex

Frank E. Kotula and joeym like this.
  5. Clovis Point

Clovis Point Active Member

thanksgentlemen ... It didnt occur to me until i typed it all out but I got to thinking later on this afternoon "maybe the issue is environmental..."

I guess Ill just be packing stuff in the house for this final step atleast for a little while while its still hot and humid .... But come winter it wont be a problem... if i dont keep a big saucepot of water on top of my wood stove it gets dry enough in there in the winter to make my eyes feel like theyre cracking and my sinuses get so dry ...

6. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

This will take care of any issues in the future.
    Take a hair dryer to your project fish, noses etc and warm it up first. Then apply a flash coat. I’ll do this 3-4 times before I think of a heavy coat. Even do this when applying the heavy coat. Not only will it stop the haze but will aid in nit having bubbles in your gloss.

Clovis Point, joeym, Clew and 2 others like this.
  7. Clew

York, SC
    works here all the time
    our humidity durring the summer is ave 82%
    actually paul b suggested this to me years ago
    just as frank said heat and forced air
    makes a super clear coat

8. Clew

York, SC
    i also do this with the tywo part clear coat
    hit it hard wit HOT air
    you will see the air bubbles pop

9. jimss

jimss Active Member

I agree 100% with the posts above about humidity. The other problem is spraying on too much at a time. Super light mists with several coats are critical rather than a steady stream. I also do the same thing with a hair drier immediately after spraying each coat.

Clovis Point likes this.