1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Softshell Turtle

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Rizzo, Aug 19, 2021.

1. Rizzo

Rizzo Member

Has anyone preserved a softshell turtle shell. Need a pic of it. Also is there a way to save the soft part of the shell? Going to save the skull was hoping for as much of the shell as possible.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I think it's gonna shrink regardless of your method of preservation. I would try 4:1 denatured alcohol:water. Soak it for 14-30 days. I've caught many that size on set hooks. One of my Cajun employees would incorporate them in gumbo quickly!

3. Rizzo

Rizzo Member

A little shrinkage will be ok .i will try that method when I clean him. Will that method also work on a regular hard shell to keep the scales on.
    Thanks

4. Is it butchered already? They look interesting as skeletons, here's mine
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rizzo likes this.
  5. PA

PA Well-Known Member

There is no way to preserve the shell as a dry preparation. Dermestids will eat it and even if not, it will shrink and distort and often contains enough fat to ruin the final prep. The only way to "preserve" the shell would be to cast the turtle split along the juncture of the carapace and plastron, then take the two parts and lay up a layer of colored semi transparent fiberglass. Prepare the skeleton and let the bugs at it, then you could seal the skeleton into the transparent "shell" and make it appear to be the original shell.

You could preserve the shell as a fluid prep in formalin and later transferred to alcohol. Most large museums have many preserved softshell turtles in them, but as fluid preps.

Rizzo likes this.
  6. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

As PA and Joey said. You will not be able to preserve it dry as it will distort and really look bad. As for the hard shelled type, you can clean the shell with no fear of losing scutes. Sealing it is a good idea though.

Rizzo likes this.