1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Skull Turned Purple

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Elkarcher, Aug 23, 2021.

1. Elkarcher

Elkarcher Member

Alaska
    Ok so I've done a bunch of searching and cant really find much unless I'm not using the correct verbiage. I have a bison skull I whitened and was getting ready to glue. I used some star bond super glue and used the star bond accelerant. Now I have a half purple bison skull. Pretty sure the accelerant is the culprit but how do I get the purple out of the skull? Gonna mix up some more peroxide paste and see if that works.

Attached Files:

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Wow. Pretty in the wrong sort of way. Was it ok before you sprayed it with the accelerant? First thing I would try would be another application of peroxide. If that doesn't work, try a soak in a solution of Iron Out. If that works, do not put it back into peroxide. When gluing, Elmer's works wonders. Get it into the seams and use a furniture clamp until fully dry. It isn't the instant bond like the super glue but it pretty much will never fail either.

3. Elkarcher

Elkarcher Member

Alaska
    It was perfectly fine before I glued it. I put another coating of peroxide paste on and it looks like it's working. Gonna wait til tomorrow and wash it off and hopefully it's gone. Never had this happen before. Yes the intstabond isna super glue so I really didnt need to spray it but I was just in a small hurry and shouldn't have been. It took about 20 min for the purple to show up

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

It may also reacted with something in the bone leftover from prior treatments. Sometimes, the chemicals we play with just don't want to play nice together. If you have time and have a spare chunk of bone to play with, run it through the same cycle of things you did with the bison. Without using the glue, spray a bit of the accelerant on it and see if you get the same reaction. Are you using the pool type of peroxide? I have had a couple of skulls do weird things with it but, out of hundreds of skulls I have done, only two of them turned pink.

5. countrycritter

countrycritter Active Member

Texas
    Yes it is the accelerant that caused the discoloration. I've had the same thing happen before. Just keep repasting with peroxide until it goes away. The worst one I had took 3 times before it was completely gone.

6. Elkarcher

Elkarcher Member

Alaska
    Well I got really lucky, the purple is gone with the peroxide paste. I am using 34% peroxide but this was pasted and wrapped. Sea wolf I will try the straight bone and accelerant and see what happens. I know this skull was boiled for way to long before I got it to whiten, but it looks pretty damn good now. Thanks for all the help

7. Elkarcher

Elkarcher Member

Alaska
    I was worried as heck, but the accelerant was the only thing I could think of that would have caused it

8. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I've had that issue when using acrylic glues and activators. As Seawolf emphasized, you can never go wrong with Elmer's white glue...it's made of the same stuff that held the bone together in the live animal, and always dries clear.