1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Turkey Skinning Question

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Triad Taxidermy, Aug 25, 2021.

1. Triad Taxidermy

Triad Taxidermy Member

I recently talked to another taxidermist who skins his turkeys by cutting off the wings, legs and tail. He says he doesn't stick his turkeys at all. Ive never done it that way.
    Can anyone tell me the process or if there are videos explain how this is done?

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

That is the way I do it. There is a Shane Smith video on YouTube that goes over it as that is how he does it. It is advertising his new turkey forms,, but he goes over the wing, leg and tail assembly. Once I tried doing this way, I will never go back.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

He wires his wings really different too. Once I tried it, I started wiring all my bird wings.that way. Even grouse, quail and the parakeets I did.

joeym likes this.
  4. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I used to make a leg-to-leg cut on all standing birds. At a seminar in LA, the taxidermist cut skin at the top of the drumstick. When setting up the bird, your legs are already mounted...no sewing up the inside of the legs. The only sewing (or stapling, is on the straight line of the cape between the legs. I remove wings and tails. Makes assembly go much smoother.

Tanglewood Taxidermy likes this.
  5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

McKenzie sells a Frank Newmyer DVD that goes into it also and is full of good advice, however, the downfall is that it is also full of Frank. If you can get through the preachy rambling, it is worth it. I don't like his balloon idea at all and I have seen it enough to know when to press fast forward.

George likes this.
  6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

I have done them with the scaps on the wings and also with the scaps on the skin. I choose scaps on the wing hands down.

Like joeym said, If you do the drumstick skin like a sock it works really well.

It is so much easier to do it in pieces because you can work on the tail one day and the legs on another day and the wings on another day and so on. So if you don't have a lot of time, you can do it in phases a little at a time, which makes the final assembly and mounting quicker.

George and joeym like this.
  7. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

I do my non flying turkeys the way Shane shows. I did on flying sandhill crane this way and it was a disaster. Lesson learned - don't wiring large flying birds with detached wings this way

8. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Yes. I didn't think to mention that I used his wire technique on closed wing birds and strutting turkeys. Flying ones would need a more structurally sound wire throughout I would think.

Wildthings likes this.