1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dinosaur

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Clovis Point, Aug 28, 2021.

1. Clovis Point

Clovis Point Active Member

Just bought the triceritops from McK, gonna paint it and give it to my little boy for his 3rd birthday in December and get some good pictures of it and sell them made to order on Etsy. I was going to buy the video but its on VHS.... and I dont have a vcr anymore lol. Anyone have like a digital bootleg or any other suggestions ? If i could just maybe get the schedule .... I dont think I necessarily need the instructions but I thought that watching it certainly wouldnt hurt my end product and I might pick up some techniques and skills that would be applicable to my craft overall.

So anyone ever done any of the Rhinehardt dinos have any info they want to share? Been looking for some reference pics but thats proving to be hard to find much other than like you know, the Jurrasic Park movies.

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I seem to remember a paint schedule in an old Rinehart catalog. Or you can make up your own. There are no reference pics of live triceratops, so no one will be the wiser.

3. Clovis Point

Clovis Point Active Member

yeah that's kinda the tongue in cheek humor i was stabbing at lol... best not to take ourselves (myself especially) too seriously ...

4. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

They have a show on tv , Dinosaur hunters or something like that, but they are finding whole skeletons of different kinds out west . It’s pretty cool , the ranchers are making up to a million bucks on some of them . Not that it’s going to help you on painting one , lol but they do show there interpretation of what they look like .

Clovis Point likes this.
  5. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    There are so many artist's conception photos all over the internet ... just search out what you want and go from there. I bought some of them in the past, painted them and they sold quick when folks saw them. They're fun to work on, but hard to 'keep' in the shop! LOL!!! Just bear in mind, as a prey species, their colors could have been muted ... It's all guess work, at best.
    This is close to how I painted the Trikes I painted ...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Clovis Point likes this.
  6. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

My son did one a few years back. I’ll try to find a photo

7. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

upload_2021-9-9_11-52-19.jpeg

Clovis Point and LordRusty like this.
  8. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

My bad…it was a T-Rex

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
  9. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

can you get eyes for the tyran ? maybe shark eyes or large gator….

10. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

We used gator eyes.

11. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

The ones McKenzie sells come with pre installed eyes.

12. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

The eyes in our T-Rex are gator eyes. They may have came pre-installed. It's been a while since that project was done. I was just going by the photo I posted. That T-Rex went in the trophy room of a guy who had been around the world hunting. One of his buddies told him he had everything except a dinosaur in his collection...soooo....he calls Murphey and asked...Hey, can you get me a dinosaur? Our reply..."Of course we can"! True story!

Clovis Point, Keith and LordRusty like this.
  13. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Yeah, they all came with pre-installed eyes. I still have a Parasaurolophus 'mount' that I painted, and one of their unpainted Brachiosaurus 'mounts.' I guess I should photograph them. LOL!

14. wa

wa Thanks John...this depicts me better

I belong to a group called.. Dinosaur Darkroom.. if you what to see real Dinosaur
    art. I have been working on Centrosaurus and Styracosaurus and my fav-Allosaurus
    got the molds done and a few made none painted yet