1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

"dropping The Wedge"

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by monarch, Aug 29, 2021.

1. monarch

monarch Member

Hi, guys - I seem to remember an edit on "Mounted in Alaska" the above tutorial and wonder if anyone can direct me to a tutorial or advise me the procedure. I have tried youtube and the internet for any links but there is nothing showing this. I have a large bare patch on the shoulder where the traditional baseball repair would not work. Thanks for any help. Bill.

2. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

Dropping a wedge is cutting out the damaged section in a pie shape. Then cutting a pie shape further back on the hide along one of the edges of the first cut you made, then sliding that forward, then resewing that piece back back into the previous cut out section.
    Dropping a wedge is also a method of getting additional girth to the skin for a bigger neck. Cutting a wedge along the back seam, and pulling it forward and sewing it back in place.

If you have plenty of hide past the shoulder, you could also cut out a piece of that hide that closely matches and sew that in for a patch.