1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Painting Duck Head Question

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Triad Taxidermy, Aug 31, 2021.

1. Triad Taxidermy

Triad Taxidermy Member

Is there a trick to painting duck head to get the coating off before painting. Ive sanded the head but the paint still seems to not stick well.

2. whitetails and fish only

whitetails and fish only Well-Known Member

Wipe down with lacquer thinner and then spray with a good primer. I use KRYLON MAXX white primer with good results. Should solve the problem.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021

3. Triad Taxidermy

Triad Taxidermy Member

thank you!

4. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

Depends on the mold release the supplier used. I've used soap and water, lacquer thinner, acetone and/or alcohol. After drying spray with a sealer/primer before starting the paint job

BrookeSFD16 likes this.
  5. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

Suppliers who make and sell heads often use different casting materials. The different material used between suppliers makes finishing easy or a pain in the butt. Add to that that those who use Lacquer to finish suffer with this problem since it atomizes so quickly, it's bonding ability becomes an issue. I mold and cast my own heads so I can overcome this issue by my material choice. In the past, to prep for paint, I would wipe down the head with MEKP or Zylene and buff with fine brass wool. Then a quick soak of about 5 minutes in the same and again a buffing with the brass wool. Then as mentioned above a mist coat of a quality primmer. Just make sure your primmer is universal and not made for enamel

6. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I rinse with laquer thinner and use Kilz as a basecoat/primer. I pour my own heads using Reynolds Smoothcast 200.

Wildthings likes this.