1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Pulling Hair

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Randy4536, Aug 31, 2021.

1. Randy4536

Randy4536 New Member

Morning.
    I have 2 deer that I mounted few weeks ago , so there dry , started finishing and grooming yesterday and found the brisket hair /armpit hair are pulling out , not sure what happened and not sure what to do. Any suggestions on how to save these mounts? both were tanned at different times through out the year so I don't think it a bad batch tan. or maybe something i doing wrong mounting day. I rinse skin side with luke warm and then flip out and rinse hair side out cold. Then towel off and then blow out with vac. Then once I finished mounting I always put a piece of card board cut out and pin to hold skin to form so no drumming. Maybe cardboard causing issues in that area keeping it damp to long. Not sure, grasping at straws.

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    yep wet too long, start by not mounting a very wet cape, any moisture is going to congregate in that area. If you feel you need to card that area use screen.

Clew and Keith like this.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

When I mount a cape, it is damp on the skin side and the hair side as dry as I can get it. I use quality a hide glue over 100% of the roughed up form. I don't need to card or pin much of anything and I have no drumming. The skin is shaved thin and the form is SLIGHTLY smaller so the hide lays in the valleys. Fiberglass screen mesh pinned down works for unruly hair and it lets git get to the skin.

4. whitetails and fish only

whitetails and fish only Well-Known Member

I think it is normal to have some shedding during the final grooming. If you are losing handfuls of hair then my guess would be that spoilage occurred before the skins were tanned.

Clovis Point likes this.
  5. ARUsher

ARUsher Well-Known Member

They weren't shaved too thin and false cut were they?

6. Clovis Point

Clovis Point Active Member

I (in my limited knowledge, nothing like some of the vets in here) agree with WTs and Fish in that a little bit of shedding is normal .... Ive noticed that my 5 spike hide puller taxi positioning tool can pull hairs loose enough to detatch but not fall out until final grooming....

7. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

You can pick up plastic screen at Walmart in the craft section. I'm sure all craft stores have it. Pin for just a couple days until the skin sets, then remove.

8. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

In house tan or sent out?

9. Randy4536

Randy4536 New Member

In house tan Pro LTC,never had issues in the last 3 years. I had another one same deal . Mounted only week and half ago - still slighty moist in the brisket area but close to dry , face and neck all dry . Barely touch the hair and sloughs off. I used screening the area so it didn't hold moisture. The one thing I have changed with my process is I tired KLEI hide paste just waiting for pro 1 pail to arrive. I did notice slight molding in the pail after a few days just on the sides. So wondering if this paste is causing the issue, i mixed with RO water . Maybe molding underneath damp areas and causing the slip. Seems very odd that its just sloughing off after a week when it should be locked in .

10. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I still contend it is that they are staying wet way too long. That hide is super thin there so it sure shouldn't take a week and half to start to dry. If you are mounting a very wet cape with salt from the tanning process in it, that moisture and salt will flow to the lower part of the mount and the salt will also attract any moisture from the air. Part way flip the mount upside down and put a fan on that area.

11. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I totally dry the hair side and the hide side is slightly damp before I mount a cape to a form.

12. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    I agree with 3bears
    Too wet too long = mold
    Hair will let go

13. Randy4536

Randy4536 New Member

Yeah i flip them upside down aswell, I blow dry hair and hide side out . Mounted hundreds with no issues like this . Its crazy . humidity at 30 , id hate to have to put a fan on every single one . Very odd situation.

14. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    wow, then I guess I'm almost at a loss here. Are you thinning that area too much? That area doesn't hardly need any thinning. If it was anything prior to tanning, I would think it would happen in the rehydration before going into the pickle.

15. Randy4536

Randy4536 New Member

Yeah shaving is good. yeah about ready to throw in the towel . I usually just salt 2 days then rehydrate no more then half hour then straight to pickle . Done that for years . Works well for me.

16. 1tigger

1tigger Active Member

I would eliminate the cardboard carding , Carboard will saturate the moisture but still hold it tight to the specimen while it dries. I like to use Plastic Canvas ( only if needed) that you can get at most craft stores and big box places.

17. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Sorry don’t believe it was to wet to long , and my deer don’t shed , I bag my deer for 5 days only taking bag off for maybe 1 hour a day to tweak . It’s either your tanning or in hide paste . I’m betting you tanning . I only salt for 6 hours , rinse in cold water only just to get blood out and straight in pickle for 3 day , agitate many times a day then shave and back in pickle for 2 days , agitating a lot , then squeeze out and oil up . I leave out for 6 hours then mount or bag and freeze. Never had that issue.

George likes this.
  18. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I bag mine as well and don't have this issue but I leave the bottom open. 13 point, How long do your's stay saturated in the pit area?

19. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I wash and shampoo my capes , rinse and hang to drip as I squeeze them out . I then put a heavy towel inside , lay cape on another heavy towel and roll up and set to side for 1/2 hour . That’s as dry as it gets for me , meaning I then mount it just like that . I don’t blow it out or card and pin . There is no need to with a good hide paste , like pro 1 , you just keep an eye on it and proceed as normal.

i also only pull bag over , I don’t seal it closed .

3bears likes this.