1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Shaving Cuts Around Eye

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Jackson1814, Aug 31, 2021.

1. Jackson1814

Jackson1814 Active Member

I always cringe when I get a cape back from the tannery and it has holes around the eyes. I just make sure I have some extra skin pulled forward towards the eye, use plenty of glue and babysit until it dries. I was wondering if anyone has a different way of tackling this issue. Please share and thank you! 7B179EB2-6E1B-4FF2-849A-E43E56FDF786.jpeg

2. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

I tan and shave my own capes, nothing worse than fixing someone else's mistakes

tem likes this.

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I sew em up with a whip stitch and cut and remove thread after dry and apoxie, if needed, to blend away.

Jackson1814 likes this.
  4. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Find another tannery . I to do my own . That said , I save pcs of very thin skin, most the time it’s from the ear cartilage , if not that I get a used dryer sheet . I pinch cut together and put a little super glue gel down then skin or dryer sheet on top push it down a tad and hit it with some excel to kick and then mount

Jackson1814 likes this.
  5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Doing it this way, the edges always curled up and I had to fix that defect after dried, how does it not for you?

6. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Sounds to me your not getting you SGgel all the way to the edge maybe . I always turn it back over and ck the seam , if I see a little spot that didn’t glue down, I literally bend it at that seam tool some glue in the lay it flat again and push the seam down again , wipe off and hit it with excel again . After mounting I also baby sit it as it dries . Hell most time there is no more to do, just some light painting, but no fillers. Hope the answered you question .

Jackson1814 likes this.
  7. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    13 point it did, I figured it was just something I did different. Now my day wasn't a waste, I learned or relearned something. Thanks

13 point likes this.